Breed and gender of 2 baby chics

ZaraTiara

Hatching
Nov 14, 2018
Hi there,
I have 2 beautiful chicks. One black and one yellow. I have no idea of their breed or gender. I got them from a primary school who were learning about life cycles. So they both hatched either on the same day or within a few days of each other.

Not too concerned about their genders yet because I know they are quite young. Less than a month old but I am extremely curious about their breed if anyone knows. 20181114_220011.jpg 20181114_220142.jpg 20181109_172640.jpg

With that comb the black one is a male. Can't tell about the white one.

My suggestion on breed is to talk to the school and see if they can tell you what the options are, where did they get the eggs. Those are just as likely to be mixes as opposed to any specific breed.

The vast majority of "classroom" chicks are crossbreds. You'll have to wait until they mature a lot more to know what breed for sure. Its a little early still to sex them but any significant comb growth or redness at this age usually indicates cockerels.

Welcome! I agree that the black/ copper chick is a cockerel, and not ready to guess about the white chick.
Ask the teacher where they came from, and then follow up that thread. If a private person, maybe you could call. If a hatchery, that's likely to be easier, and purebred chicks.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom