breed and gender please

fowllover

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Missouri
Hello-

This is Baldy. My son picked her up at a feed store when she was less than a week old. She is now 8 weeks old. I thought she was a Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen but now I am second guessing both.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I'd say it is a SLW, hatchery-quality. Mine are about 16 weeks now and getting better coloration, but that's what they looked like at that age. However, the comb doesn't look right to me. It seems a little too pea-like, but again, if it's a hatchery-quality, you never know. (p.s. I highly recommend letting others comment too - I'm no professional!)

Those are awfully big wattles for an 8wk-old Wyandotte, but then I went back and looked at my pics from last year and it's about the same. The comb may be straight; I have a wyandotte pullet with a straight comb. My uncle's SLW have about the same amount of black - it's just poor genetics for the lacing colors because hatcheries don't select for desirable traits.

I would say Hen at that age so far, she looks very similar to my hatchery girl @ 7 weeks poor quality but mine has been laying consistantly since 20weeks old and even all winter so she is tops in my book.

I would say Hen at that age so far, she looks very similar to my hatchery girl @ 7 weeks poor quality but mine has been laying consistantly since 20weeks old and even all winter so she is tops in my book.
She does look alot like ours! Thanks for sharing. Ours didnt capture my heart until the last couple of weeks. She is so docile and easy to pick up. My son carries her around all the time.

Back
Top Bottom