Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Newfoundland
020.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

These are pictures of a chicken that we recently bought. I was wondering if anyone could tell the gender or breed of this chicken.
The woman who sold this chicken to us said it was a sussex.

It's very cute! (Since you're asking for gender too I didn't want to say "she" like I was going to, I can't tell the sex at that young of an age, lol)

But anyway, it looks just like the offspring of our mixed breed Araucana/Americana hen which was out of a McMurray Araucana/Americana. Our Araucana's (I just call her that, it's easy to remember and I honestly don't know her breed, all I know is she's a descendant of an Araucana/Americana from McMurray and she lays blue eggs) chicks look a lot like yours.

dsc07334l.jpg

Our Araucana hen

dsc08177.jpg

A 5 day old chick out of our Araucana hen and I believe a RIR mix.

dsc08176.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help posting this pic I just think it's too cute! (This is Emily and her Columbian Wyandotte mommy)

BTW, nice photography.

Thank you, i was hoping for a hen but i think it would make a great rooster if it is a Speckled Sussex. Also i was wondering, how many rooster can you have in the one coop with hens.

I have 6 at the moment with about 30 hens. I had 8 more, but they spend so much time scrapping that I sent some away. At least my hens aren't bothered as much with more roosters in the group. When I only had one or two roos, the hens were always raw on their backs!

Back
Top Bottom