Breed and sex help.

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana

This guy herein 99% sure is a cockeral and I'm thinking a Cochin (sp?)

This I'm pretty sure is a pullet and some type of wyandotte mix?

(The gray one on the left here)
I think pullet? But I'm not used to this type of comb and have no idea what breed at all!

This is my other gray chicken. No clue on sex or breed.

These babies are around 5 weeks old.

Are they suppose to be purebred? To me right now the first 3 look like pullets and the last possible a rooster.

I would guess the first is a Cochin, or Cochin mix, than maybe Dominique, or Wyandotte mix, I agree with the next one being either a Wyandotte or mixed with one, and the last looks like a mix as well. Actually I'm thinking they may be all Cochin Wyandotte mixes.

Are they suppose to be purebred? To me right now the first 3 look like pullets and the last possible a rooster.

I would guess the first is a Cochin, or Cochin mix, than maybe Dominique, or Wyandotte mix, I agree with the next one being either a Wyandotte or mixed with one, and the last looks like a mix as well. Actually I'm thinking they may be all Cochin Wyandotte mixes.

I was told they were EEs when I got them lol I think their term of EE is very loose. Here is a better pic of the first chick (Black with white chest) the comb is pretty out there so I was thinking cockeral but since the others dont have this type of comb its hard to compare!!

Little roosters will generally get pink combs by 5 weeks where pullets will stay yellow orange until they are 3-4 months or even older. So if any show pink already than more than likely they are roosters.

Easter egger is a very loose term, especially now since they can lay brown eggs and still get called an EE.

Little roosters will generally get pink combs by 5 weeks where pullets will stay yellow orange until they are 3-4 months or even older. So if any show pink already than more than likely they are roosters.
Easter egger is a very loose term, especially now since they can lay brown eggs and still get called an EE.

Then the little black one is prob. A hen and that last one is definitely a cockeral. That explains why that was the one protecting the others. Lol

Once you see it it can be quite obvious and thus easier to guess the sexes of other chicks. Sometimes photos don't show true colors so it can be hard to judge from a photo but simple in person.

Back
Top Bottom