Breed and Sex Help

beckylein15

Chirping
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern Ontario, Canada
So, I hatched 9 khakis in April, and all but one appears to be male for my layer flock :lau:lauAt just about 6 weeks old, only one quacks and the rest have a raspy peep.

I decided to get some females (we won't be keeping all of the males), and ended up with 4 females who are 3 months old. The ad said parents are Khakis, Welsh Harlequins, Saxony, Rouens, and Mallards. I was not clear if they're a barnyard mix or actually kept to their breed, and I didn't especially care as we just want ducks as pets/layers.

I get them home and realize as I am carrying them one by one to their partitioned duck house that one of them doesn't quack. I've watched every YouTube video I can find and listened to the link that's usually posted re: voice sexing. If it doesn't quack, it's a male.

This is that duck:

I sent the video to the seller and she said it might be a Muscovy female? She said she was going to ask her husband and I haven't heard back yet, so I'm reaching out for other opinions
MVIMG_20200601_143558.jpg

Thoughts on sex and breed?

Also, these are the other three and I am curious about what breed they potentially are/barnyard mix. I think the two are maybe Saxony? And the one has colouring like my khakis but with black instead of brown. Maybe some kind of khaki cross?
MVIMG_20200601_140528.jpg

MVIMG_20200601_140524.jpg

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200601_140524.jpg
    MVIMG_20200601_140524.jpg
    941.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MVIMG_20200601_140528.jpg
    MVIMG_20200601_140528.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 1
That duck looks just like the golden cascades i just got. My ducks are older but i would bet money that's what it is.
So, I hatched 9 khakis in April, and all but one appears to be male for my layer flock :lau:lauAt just about 6 weeks old, only one quacks and the rest have a raspy peep.

I decided to get some females (we won't be keeping all of the males), and ended up with 4 females who are 3 months old. The ad said parents are Khakis, Welsh Harlequins, Saxony, Rouens, and Mallards. I was not clear if they're a barnyard mix or actually kept to their breed, and I didn't especially care as we just want ducks as pets/layers.

I get them home and realize as I am carrying them one by one to their partitioned duck house that one of them doesn't quack. I've watched every YouTube video I can find and listened to the link that's usually posted re: voice sexing. If it doesn't quack, it's a male.

This is that duck:

I sent the video to the seller and she said it might be a Muscovy female? She said she was going to ask her husband and I haven't heard back yet, so I'm reaching out for other opinions View attachment 2172878

Thoughts on sex and breed?

Also, these are the other three and I am curious about what breed they potentially are/barnyard mix. I think the two are maybe Saxony? And the one has colouring like my khakis but with black instead of brown. Maybe some kind of khaki cross?
View attachment 2172880

View attachment 2172877

Thanks so much!

3 weeks ago that's EXACTLY what my ducks looked like. I will bet you money a month from now they will look like this. Its a pretty unusual breed so its not impossible the original owner though they were something else.

20200602_093442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom