1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed... Asians?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ObviouslyLost, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    Tractor supply had these little ones identified as "Asians". Can anyone tell me what the actual breed would be, because I cant seem to find anything on them... and the search results when googling are comical... The one in pic 1 and 2's legs are also black and it has a bit of white under its belly and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    As unbelievable as it may seem, maybe the folks at TSC don't know what they are selling :). "Asiatic" is a class of large sized chickens and is made up of the Cochins, Brahmas, and Langshans. Are there any small feathers on its legs and feet?

3. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    The lighter one is an Australorp, I'm not 100% sure on the darker one though.

Hahaha I hear ya! That seems to be the case at most feed stores lol! ;)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the first one have feathered feet? If not, it may be a Black Sex-Link. The other one is likely a Black Australorp.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Are they bantams? They kinda look like Gray Japanese, which may explain why they were called "Asians."

6. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    Yeah. I can understand that for sure. lol. I actually didnt get much help from them, other than letting me in the cage to get them. They do not have any feathers on their legs or feet as far as I can see. I can upload pictures if you want though. Thanks for the help. :)

7. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    Thanks for the help. I actually went back to the store to get some black australorps, but they apparently "ran out". Looks like they may have moved them to another bin? lol.

8. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    I cant see any feathers on its legs/feet, but I can upload pics if you want. :) I appreciate the help.

9. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    I dont think so, but there's no telling. The sign they had up said that they were good egg layers and lay medium to large brown eggs. I can even upload a picture of the sign if you guys want? haha. I have to head back up there tomorrow.

10. ObviouslyLost

ObviouslyLost New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Georgia
    Chick from Pic 1, and an impressive photobomb from one of the Production Reds that we bought. (If that's what they even are... #ThanksTractorSupply) [​IMG]
    Legs with no feathers and yellowish underbelly. You can also see a bit of the same yellow on the tip of the wings.

Chick from Pic 2, nomming with one of the Prod Reds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by