Breed check- 7 wk old "red leghorn" pullet

CDcluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 29, 2012
northern Virginia
I bought 2 "red leghorn" sexed pullet chicks from the feed store. My kid picked out the 2 we wanted out of the pen, the darkest and lightest out of a pile of chipmunk striped puffballs on the hopes that we may be able to tell them apart more easily later.

Well, the lighter one is now way lighter and I'm curious about a possible mix up somewhere along the road to the feed store. And her legs are green, which I've heard of but never actually seen. Here's the yellow mystery:
20170522_154512-1.jpg 20170522_154407-1.jpg 20170522_154357-1.jpg 20170522_154445-1.jpg

And here's the other from the same batch:
20170522_154506-1.jpg

What do you all think?

You picked Easter Eggers out of that bin.
Feed store employees aren't necessarily chicken experts.
Keep that in mind when you go back to buy your next batch!

I know the individual at the register may or may not have any idea what they are, but the store manager only orders 2 breeds in at a time and they surely aren't Barred Rocks! The brown one looks plausible for a leghorn, if definitely not from exhibition lines.

An EE? Any guess on contributing breeds?

Easter Eggers are not a breed per se, but a variety of chicken that does not conform to any breed standard but lays large to extra large eggs that vary in shade from blue to green to olive to aqua and sometimes even pinkish.

Sorry...I do not.

Would you be able to ask the manager where he orders the chicks from?

Back
Top Bottom