Breed choices: what should I get??

I got some Sapphire Gems for the first time about 9 weeks ago and I am LOVING them! Have had chickens for about 13 years and these are easily the friendliest and most charming birds we've ever had. They come running when they see us, follow us like puppies, and come when we call them. They are just so CUTE! The're very pretty, are sexable at hatch, and will lay brown eggs. I love EEs and will never be without them so I also got some Prairie Blueball Eggers at the same time (random appearing hens, pretty blue eggs), but the Gems have stolen my heart!
just wait til they start laying. My two girls eggs are ENORMOUS! Poor girls. lol

Hi all! These are my options for new chicks this year. I am trying to ONLY get 4 to add to my backyard 10. I would love to diversify my egg colors. Which should I get?? Thanks!

EASTER EGGERS CHICK
RHODE ISLAND RED CHICK
COPPER ROCK MARANS CHICK
BLUE GEM CHICK
BUFF ORPINGTON CHICK
AQUILA CHICK
BARRED ROCK CHICK
BLACK SEXLINK CHICK
Agree!!!

I love both breeds, but my BO just kept going broody so I didn't get as many eggs out of them as I would have liked. They are sweet and beautiful, though. I agree with you about the EE, I will never be without them! I love the blue/green eggs and they are very productive. ❤️ Right now I'm getting brown eggs from my Dominiques, Speckled Sussexes, and Black and Blue Copper Marans. (One of my SS is VERY bossy, lol!) Sigh ... so many breeds, so little time! 😆
Exactly the problem - choices! 😅

I LOVE my marans from TSC/Hoover's. One of them has the copper and one is just black. They are both very sweet and friendly and regularly lay large pretty dark brown eggs. I definitely want to keep this breed as a regular part of my flock. My RiRs are more aggressive and don't love to be held but they are plucky and lay regularly so I would say they are a good staple breed to have.

I would love to have some EEs but what I thought were EEs are Brahmas instead! They are pretty and all but they are irregular layers and not friendly so I don't ever plan to get more of them.
What do you mean by plucky please? Never heard that before.

What do you mean by plucky please? Never heard that before.

Definitions from Oxford Languages
having or showing determined courage in the face of difficulties.
"the plucky youngster has astounded medical staff"

Courageous, Bold

(Ignore boxes, I can't get rid of them.)

Hi all! These are my options for new chicks this year. I am trying to ONLY get 4 to add to my backyard 10. I would love to diversify my egg colors. Which should I get?? Thanks!

EASTER EGGERS CHICK
RHODE ISLAND RED CHICK
COPPER ROCK MARANS CHICK
BLUE GEM CHICK
BUFF ORPINGTON CHICK
AQUILA CHICK
BARRED ROCK CHICK
BLACK SEXLINK CHICK
www.serenitysprouts.com located in Strasburg, CO offers a Six Pack of chicks designed specifically for egg colors. You can also get the follow individually from them that would make a gorgeous egg basket:
Sky Blue Eggs: Cream Legbar
Aqua Blue Eggs: Amerucana
Dark Chocolate Eggs: French Copper Marans
Surprise Egg Color: Easter Egger
White Eggs: Silkie or Polish
Cream Tint: Onyx Sundance
Pink Tint: Salmon Faverolle
Brown Eggs: Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island, Barred Rock, Bielefelder, Brahma, Wyandotte

If you can only get six, I would recommend: Marans, Cream Legbar, Speckled Sussex, and Salmon Faverolle

Back
Top Bottom