Breed choices: what should I get??

Friendthechicken

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
PNW
Hi all! These are my options for new chicks this year. I am trying to ONLY get 4 to add to my backyard 10. I would love to diversify my egg colors. Which should I get?? Thanks!

EASTER EGGERS CHICK
RHODE ISLAND RED CHICK
COPPER ROCK MARANS CHICK
BLUE GEM CHICK
BUFF ORPINGTON CHICK
AQUILA CHICK
BARRED ROCK CHICK
BLACK SEXLINK CHICK

Is the marans chick a mix? Last I knew, no recognized variety had 'rock' in the name
Apparently, there is an online hatchery called Dunlap that sells them. :idunno
Screenshot (55).png
The description says it's a cross between BCM roo and Barred Rock hen.

What breeds do you already have? Beside a colorful egg basket is there aything else you are looking for?
I have a mixed flock! 2 CA Whites, 2 RIR, 2 Lavendar Orps, 2 Australorps, and an older hen mix I’m not sure of. I have almost all pale brown eggs. The RIR and the mix are a bit darker. Thanks for asking!

What breeds do you already have? Beside a colorful egg basket is there aything else you are looking for?
I guess I’ll say that the flighty CA whites have been a bit of a problem - finding them at our neighbors - so I guess I’d prefer heavier set ladies. But otherwise no real desires. Great egg laying and diversity of color feathers or eggs a plus but I’m open.

I got some Sapphire Gems for the first time about 9 weeks ago and I am LOVING them! Have had chickens for about 13 years and these are easily the friendliest and most charming birds we've ever had. They come running when they see us, follow us like puppies, and come when we call them. They are just so CUTE! The're very pretty, are sexable at hatch, and will lay brown eggs. I love EEs and will never be without them so I also got some Prairie Blueball Eggers at the same time (random appearing hens, pretty blue eggs), but the Gems have stolen my heart!

Back
Top Bottom