Help! Brand new Rhode island red chick trying to eat everyone else

Brooding them outside may solve the problem with the chick trying to eat the others, too. A surprising number of chick problems go away when they have more space and more things to see and do.
Unfortunately this will only work for a few hours a day, but I'll do my best. If I notice them picking the Australorp again, then I'll make a little pen for him to keep them out.

Last edited:
Chicks doing MUCH better now! Thank you all for the help, especially about the lights.

They do occasionally peck each other, but not as much as before. I added a shiny putty knife as per the TSC employee, and that helped, turning off the lights helped a bunch too. Now they are happily wandering and exploring and not focusing on eating each other LOL.

I took the brooder plate out today and they almost immediately perked up and started acting more lively (I have the reptile heat emitter that works really well).

I dipped their beaks in water the first day (which is a LOT harder than I expected it to be), but they didn't get the message.I tried again today and they actually started drinking. I font think it went deep enough before? But they're now eating and drinking at will so they'll be fine on that count.

So excited! Tomorrow I'll see if I can take them outside, or maybe bring a piece of grass in (can I do that if it has worms and grubs, or will they get sick from those at this age? )

I dipped their beaks in water the first day (which is a LOT harder than I expected it to be), but they didn't get the message.I tried again today and they actually started drinking. I font think it went deep enough before? But they're now eating and drinking at will so they'll be fine on that count.
Alternate idea for the future: I prefer to put colored marbles or pebbles in the water, and not bother dipping beaks. They tend to peck at the colorful things, get their beak wet, and figure out how to drink. Once a few have it figured out, the rest can also copy the first ones.

I don't leave the marbles in for very many days, because it is such a nuisance to collect them each time the water needs to be cleaned or refilled. But I think that is less bother (for me) that trying to dip beaks.

So excited! Tomorrow I'll see if I can take them outside, or maybe bring a piece of grass in (can I do that if it has worms and grubs, or will they get sick from those at this age? )

If they are going to eat anything except chick starter, they need grit in their gizzards to grind it up. If they are living in a brooder with no real dirt available, it is generally a good idea to provide some grit before you start giving them other foods.

In this case, if you are giving them a clump that has dirt and grass, they can probably get enough grit from that. Chicks that live outdoors and scratch in the dirt will usually get enough grit as well.

Worms and grubs should not be a problem.

Alternate idea for the future: I prefer to put colored marbles or pebbles in the water, and not bother dipping beaks. They tend to peck at the colorful things, get their beak wet, and figure out how to drink. Once a few have it figured out, the rest can also copy the first ones.

I don't leave the marbles in for very many days, because it is such a nuisance to collect them each time the water needs to be cleaned or refilled. But I think that is less bother (for me) that trying to dip beaks.

If they are going to eat anything except chick starter, they need grit in their gizzards to grind it up. If they are living in a brooder with no real dirt available, it is generally a good idea to provide some grit before you start giving them other foods.

In this case, if you are giving them a clump that has dirt and grass, they can probably get enough grit from that. Chicks that live outdoors and scratch in the dirt will usually get enough grit as well.

Worms and grubs should not be a problem.
Great! I'll definitely do that next time to keep them. Way better than them pecking each other from boredom LOL

and I'll definitely be adding that dirt and grass. How much should I add? Like 8x8"? Brooder is about 2x3'.

Great! I'll definitely do that next time to keep them. Way better than them pecking each other from boredom LOL

and I'll definitely be adding that dirt and grass. How much should I add? Like 8x8"? Brooder is about 2x3'.
Add however much dirt and grass that you believe would keep the chicks occupied. I would suggest only small pieces of grass because a chick will try to eat a long piece and start choking on it. If it is nearing spring where you live and the grass is beginning to grow seeds, then you can collect the seeds too because chickens really like to peck around on those and eat them. I also like to have them a small stick in the brooder because it gives them something to do.

Add however much dirt and grass that you believe would keep the chicks occupied. I would suggest only small pieces of grass because a chick will try to eat a long piece and start choking on it. If it is nearing spring where you live and the grass is beginning to grow seeds, then you can collect the seeds too because chickens really like to peck around on those and eat them. I also like to have them a small stick in the brooder because it gives them something to do.
Oh, I didn't clarify well. I'm talking about a chunk of sod. I'm starting a garden, so I have sod chunks I was thinking about tossing in with the chicks to occupy and nurture (and maybe inoculate) them. The grass is as tall as they are, but it's basically crab grass, so I think they'll be fine (let me know if not, can trim it with scissors). No seeds yet, but I will leave a patch or two with seed pods for them to browse for sure!

Back
Top Bottom