Breed Confusion!!! pics

chickieMcChickerson

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
I posted when these guys were small & got a few different answers. SO, I was wondering if maybe they look more specific now (just to soothe my curiosity, really
wink.png
). Also, I'm totally confused as to why they look so differently when they're from the same batch of chickies? Thanks in advance! BTW, they hatched the week of April (still not laying- grrrrrrr).

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

**The images are looking huge on the preview, but I resized them in photobucket. SORRY if it didn't work!

Well, it looks like a wild type color variety... and typically your roo will be much different than your hen in coloring and pattern. The silver one doesn't look too much different from your gold hen other than that she is silver. I don't know a whole lot about color genes....but gold and silver seem to be your most basic color varieties and it seems quite logical that they could pop up in the same pool..... specially if these are mixed breed or mixed color variety chickens.

The little male and the pullet in the middle are typicaly the colors called Black Breasted Red and the silver and black pullet color is Birchen. You say they came from the same batch. Well it could possibly be they are from different parent stock. Or it could be they are just mixed variety of colors.

They appear to be cross breeds of some sort. There is nothing to indicate scale but I assume they're bantams. When I was a kid we had a flock of what we called "Banties". They were crosses & came in a variety of colours. I imagine yours have some OEGB in their background but the leg colours are wrong.
Actually the silver & black one is Silver Pencilled not Birchen. Birchens have a solid black body.

Back
Top Bottom