Breed cross chart and pictures

chickenphile

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Feura Bush, NY
Does one exist? I am looking to see what the dominant genes would be if I crossed some different breeds? I tried a web search but was wondering if any one here knew where to find one.
thanks
Chris

You know, that would be a good page to get going for BYC. There are lots of people here who could probably explain things like, how to get lavender or blue this or that, etc. Why not round up some people and start sharing information?

I tried to do the punit square...

But this is all I came up with:

8992_tic_tac_toe.jpg

Practical Poultry magazine had 2 articles--I think in March 2008 and April 2008 about crossing breeds for sex-links. They are very good and would give you a place to start. There is also a web site:

http://home.ezweb.com.au/~kazballea/genetics/html_pages/calculators.html

It has a lot of genetic information. There are some charts which might help you. I don't know if this helps, but it is the best I have found without buying a book. While there are some very good books, I think much of breeding is experimenting and selecting for certain traits in the off spring. I have not been able to predict exactly what I am going to get and reproduce the desired traits without hard culling and serious selective breeding and then I often get surprised.
fl.gif

I've been asking Nifty for a genetics forum!

I'd love to learn about this stuff!

I've been picking people's brains in the chat room about color genetics. I also would love to know about mixing the breeds. I have some crosses and a few are really pretty. I'd love to know what combination they are. And I was actually thinking this morning about seeing if I could replicate it in an F2 generation.

Of course then you get into issues of a closed gene pool, unless someone else can manage to duplicate the look and cross genes. I dunno. Just interesting.

Kendra

Back
Top Bottom