Breed crossing?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I've recently crossed some of my bantams and a Rhode Island red with an ideal 236 Roo, they all look like ideal 236 chicks. Are chickens heterozygous or homozygous?

Your ideal 236 has dominate white that its passing on one copy to the offspring. Your chicks look like him because of it.
If you look at them all closely I'd suspect some have small black specks here and there.
One copy of DW usually doesn't completely cover the pattern underneath. DW also doesn't do much to gold tones so I'd expect a lot to have gold tone leakage starting to show in a few weeks.
Depending on the cross and genes involved a chick can look like one parent or the other or completely different then either.

So they can take after only one parent or both with genes or is it just a differently distributed genetic formula?

They can take after either parent or some of both. For each gene, they get one from the mother and one from the father. The sex chromosomes are ZZ for males (one from each parent) and ZW for females (Z from father, W from mother).

In your particular case, the Ideal 236 probably has the gene for Extended Black (makes the chicken black all over, and blocks the expression of many other color or pattern genes) and the gene for Dominant White that turns black to white.

So the chicks probably got one copy of the Extended Black gene, and one copy of the Dominant White gene, and that's enough to make a chicken that looks almost all white. Dominant White is a bit leaky, so there may be some black flecks on the chicks as they grow up.

The chicks will have other genes (like the ones for Rhode Island Red coloring), but the effects are simply hidden under the black-turned-white. They may have some red or brown color showing in their feathers as they grow up.

They can take after either parent or some of both. For each gene, they get one from the mother and one from the father. The sex chromosomes are ZZ for males (one from each parent) and ZW for females (Z from father, W from mother).

In your particular case, the Ideal 236 probably has the gene for Extended Black (makes the chicken black all over, and blocks the expression of many other color or pattern genes) and the gene for Dominant White that turns black to white.

So the chicks probably got one copy of the Extended Black gene, and one copy of the Dominant White gene, and that's enough to make a chicken that looks almost all white. Dominant White is a bit leaky, so there may be some black flecks on the chicks as they grow up.

The chicks will have other genes (like the ones for Rhode Island Red coloring), but the effects are simply hidden under the black-turned-white. They may have some red or brown color showing in their feathers as they grow up.
WOW! AMAZING! I learn more from this website than I do from my chemistry and biology classes in school!!! Thank you so much!

WOW! AMAZING! I learn more from this website than I do from my chemistry and biology classes in school!!! Thank you so much!
If you like chicken genetics, you might like these pages:
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm
https://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

One talks about specific genes, and the other is a calculator where you can change the genes and see the picture of the chicken change. (The calculator can also calculate offspring from a cross, but I mostly play with changing the genes and seeing the effects on the chicken.)

Back
Top Bottom