1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed Differences

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by drdoolittle, Sep 11, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    What is the difference between a black marans, a black australorp, and a black minorca?

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Really, the only similarity is that they are all black. They all have a different body shape (esp. the minorcas compared to the other two) and different feathering. They also all lay different colored eggs. Marans lay (or at least should) a dark brown egg, australorps lay your standard light brown/tan colored egg, and minorcas are white egg layers.

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Two good ones are... ithaca.edu and look for Hendersons Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart. Also, avian web.com

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A good visual key is that Black Marans have feathered legs and are quite rare, Black Australorps are just plain black chickens and VERY common, and Black Minorcas have an unmistakable large white earlobe, plus they're also very rare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by