Breed Disposition Help!

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
So, I am new to chickens.( But the addiction is real!) I got my first set of chicks (barred rock, easter eggers and silkies) just 2.5 months ago (they are almost 12 weeks old). And a friend gave me a few little bantams that are around a year. And I recently acquired some silkie hens. I know I’ve read BR and the EE’s can be stand off-ish (and I know that can always vary from bird to bird). I got the silkies because I was really wanting some cute lap chickens to love on. But, ALAS, EVERYONE HATES ME. Someone help this newbie out. Is it their age? Or are none of my chickens going to hop up into my lap and waddle over to me to see what’s going on? Everyone RUNS. No one wants me to even stand close to them out in the run. And when I catch one they protest loudly. So is there any hope? Am I being dramatic? 😂 Just bummed I guess. I just want to be loved!! Haha. Pic if my newly acquired naked neck who, you guessed it, also hates me. 😂😂

Attachments

• C4238307-C859-4303-BEB6-AD234D66AD01.jpeg
    C4238307-C859-4303-BEB6-AD234D66AD01.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 8
Chickens are like cats. You can't go to them, they have to come to you. Calm presence over months and years will build trust. Sit with them and offer treats then just sit calmly in your chair and one day (likely a year from now) one will hop up. They also tend to prefer adults to kids or teens because of the difference in general predictability and bounciness.

Food! Bribery is always a good idea when it comes to birds, and most animals really. Lol. It’ll take time for them to learn to trust you, move slowly, don’t startle them, and feed them. Lol. My birds come running because they know that sometimes I bring goodies out for them. I only have a couple that willingly climb into my lap, but I think that’s more individual personality more than anything. :) it takes a while to gain their trust but the effort is worth it.

Chickens are like cats. You can't go to them, they have to come to you. Calm presence over months and years will build trust. Sit with them and offer treats then just sit calmly in your chair and one day (likely a year from now) one will hop up. They also tend to prefer adults to kids or teens because of the difference in general predictability and bounciness.
The only time they act interested is when I’ve got meal worms. Lol. I probably should go sit out with them without the two toddlers then.. ha!

Food! Bribery is always a good idea when it comes to birds, and most animals really. Lol. It’ll take time for them to learn to trust you, move slowly, don’t startle them, and feed them. Lol. My birds come running because they know that sometimes I bring goodies out for them. I only have a couple that willingly climb into my lap, but I think that’s more individual personality more than anything. :) it takes a while to gain their trust but the effort is worth it.
I am definitely going to work on it and try and be patient! I don’t need all of them climbing up 😂 just one would be great! Thanks 😊

The only time they act interested is when I’ve got meal worms. Lol. I probably should go sit out with them without the two toddlers then.. ha!
Ha! Yes. 100% this. Have a calm chair from which you dispense mealworms. You don't find them to give it to them - make them come to you. Don't reach out to handle or pet (even though they're floofy and soft and it's hard). After a while, they will enjoy your calm nature and your treats!

As for the kids... they need to associate kids with a different style of day, so maybe don't use the chair? I'm brainstorming on differences here that can make them not associate you with being squealed at and grabbed by the kids. I DO think that handling chickens is great for kids, I'm not saying don't let them.

Chickens are prey animals, and they know it. Most aren't interested in being cuddled, and it just frightens them. As everyone has said, sit or stand around out there, offer treats, toss the goodies near you while calling them, and give it time.
Children running around, chasing, and being loud, all scare the birds, not helpful at all.
'Catching' them just increases their fear. If one needs to be handled, do it at night off the roost, rather than having a chase.
Mine come running when I call because goodies usually are involved, and a few do like to get close. If I wanted 'lap chickens' those birds would be good candidates.
Speckled Sussex hens are often very interactive, consider them.
About cockerels; they can be so bold and 'friendly', but that can turn into aggression later, especially easy to miss when you are new having chickens, and not good having small children. Consider moving any cockerels that you have on elsewhere, at least this first year.
Mary

Lap chickens are a phenomenon, it is an individual personality trait not so much based on breed as on the particular bird itself.
Now some lap chickens are shy little wall flowers at first very few just YOLO into your lap without thoroughly checking you out, it can take months for you to be deemed ok for cuddles.
You've figured out treats=bribery already, so you're earning precious brownie points.:)

Lap chickens are a phenomenon, it is an individual personality trait not so much based on breed as on the particular bird itself.
Now some lap chickens are shy little wall flowers at first very few just YOLO into your lap without thoroughly checking you out, it can take months for you to be deemed ok for cuddles.
You've figured out treats=bribery already, so you're earning precious brownie points.:)
LOLOLOL!

'YOLO into your lap.' It must be nearing bedtime cause I am in stitches over that :lau

Back
Top Bottom