Breed Disposition Help!

Ha! Yes. 100% this. Have a calm chair from which you dispense mealworms. You don't find them to give it to them - make them come to you. Don't reach out to handle or pet (even though they're floofy and soft and it's hard). After a while, they will enjoy your calm nature and your treats!

As for the kids... they need to associate kids with a different style of day, so maybe don't use the chair? I'm brainstorming on differences here that can make them not associate you with being squealed at and grabbed by the kids. I DO think that handling chickens is great for kids, I'm not saying don't let them.
Oh, the highlight of the 3.5 year old’s day is chicken chores and holding “his” silkies (to their horror 😂). I am teaching him to be gentle and kind, always under supervision.

That’s a good idea about the chair! Maybe I’ll do that at nap with some worms. So hard not to touch though *eye twitches* Those fluffy butts 😭😭😂

Lap chickens are a phenomenon, it is an individual personality trait not so much based on breed as on the particular bird itself.
Now some lap chickens are shy little wall flowers at first very few just YOLO into your lap without thoroughly checking you out, it can take months for you to be deemed ok for cuddles.
You've figured out treats=bribery already, so you're earning precious brownie points.:)
Hahahaha YOLO!! 😂 There are a few I wonder if they’ll be the ones who come around. See me coming and definitely look “aloofly interested”. And look at me when I speak and cock their heads. It probably doesn’t help I have a friend who had a 10 week old RIR pullet fly up onto her shoulder and I’m staring at my flock like “what’s the deal y’all?!?!” get to it!!” 😂

Chickens are prey animals, and they know it. Most aren't interested in being cuddled, and it just frightens them. As everyone has said, sit or stand around out there, offer treats, toss the goodies near you while calling them, and give it time.
Children running around, chasing, and being loud, all scare the birds, not helpful at all.
'Catching' them just increases their fear. If one needs to be handled, do it at night off the roost, rather than having a chase.
Mine come running when I call because goodies usually are involved, and a few do like to get close. If I wanted 'lap chickens' those birds would be good candidates.
Speckled Sussex hens are often very interactive, consider them.
About cockerels; they can be so bold and 'friendly', but that can turn into aggression later, especially easy to miss when you are new having chickens, and not good having small children. Consider moving any cockerels that you have on elsewhere, at least this first year.
Mary
Thank you, Mary! There are a few younger chicks that can’t (or won’t) get up the ramp on their own to the coop and I do eventually have to chase them down to get them in. I don’t like to do it because I feel like it’s very stressful on them but I don’t see another choice.

I had a friend tell me good male chicken behavior is generally they ignore you and are even dispositioned so I’m trying to watch out for that. We have one BR cockerel that ignores us but doesn’t mind being picked up and will almost coo when you rub his head so I think he’ll be a good one. My two EE cockerels are very hyperactive, constantly trying to rip everyone’s feathers out and already trying to crow loudly (11 weeks) and get up in my business. They creep up behind me, especially when I’ve crouched down. It scares me! I’ve already decided they need to go.

I placed an order on my pet chicken and have some buff Orpingtons I have heard are good friendly birds. I considered the speckled sussex. Maybe I’ll add that into my order.

Lol! Im trying to help 😂
LOLOLOL!

'YOLO into your lap.' It must be nearing bedtime cause I am in stitches over that :lau

You just never know, but if you're seeing aloofly interested that is a spectacular sign.☺
Hahahaha YOLO!! 😂 There are a few I wonder if they’ll be the ones who come around. See me coming and definitely look “aloofly interested”. And look at me when I speak and cock their heads. It probably doesn’t help I have a friend who had a 10 week old RIR pullet fly up onto her shoulder and I’m staring at my flock like “what’s the deal y’all?!?!” get to it!!” 😂

Oh, the highlight of the 3.5 year old’s day is chicken chores and holding “his” silkies (to their horror 😂). I am teaching him to be gentle and kind, always under supervision.

That’s a good idea about the chair! Maybe I’ll do that at nap with some worms. So hard not to touch though *eye twitches* Those fluffy butts 😭😭😂
Oh yes. Toddlers and chickens play a zero-sum game. If one is having fun it means the other is NOT. lol.

Young birds are more flighty but they will start to calm down when they begin to lay, especially if you have handled them a lot as chicks.

We've had a lot of chickens and there's only been one that wants to be picked up and held. She will also run up your back if you aren't careful, and it's not so easy to get a big chicken off your shoulder when you are by yourself. Be careful what you wish for. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom