Breed/Gender (updated photos)

Avie02

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Hi!

This is actually a bit of an update/refresh of an older post of mine.

It was a nice day today so I was able to get some better photos of my gang.

I would love to know what breeds these ones are (just the white ones as i'm pretty confident the other is a barred rock), also, I'd love to have your input on gender for all 3

They are all approx 5 weeks old.

I'm fairly certain the white pair are hen and rooster. The one I suspect to be a hen is very lightweight in comparison to the roo when I pick her up, would this be an indication that I'm correct in assuming she is a girl? (I'm very new to this). Also, her comb is large, but it is a lot smaller than the one I suspect is a roo. She also doesn't kick and squawk when I pick her up, she is very calm.

The barred rock I feel could be a roo however I'm finding his actions somewhat gender-neutral, and his size compares to the one that I suspect is a female, although he is a little bit more weighty than her on pick up but not by much. The photos show the comb as quite red but in real life, it is just a blush pink, nothing too outrageous. His comb is nowhere near the size of the white roo, but this could be a difference in breed perhaps?

The backyard breeder that I purchased the eggs from had a mix of leghorns, Plymouth rocks, Orpingtons...he did mention a couple of other breeds but my memory has left me at the moment!

If I do have two roos in this lot, ultimately I can really only keep one given my flock of hens would not be big enough for two. So, what one would you keep and why? I guess I'm just wanting a little input here if I do perhaps decide to incubate an egg or two down the track or what breed you think makes for a better leader etc... just curious on your opinions on this topic

Attachments

• myhatch1.jpg
    myhatch1.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 22
  • myhatch2.jpg
    myhatch2.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 20
  • myhatch3.jpg
    myhatch3.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 18
  • myhatch4.jpg
    myhatch4.jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 18
  • myhatch5.jpg
    myhatch5.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 17
  • myhatch6.jpg
    myhatch6.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 18
  • myhatch7.jpg
    myhatch7.jpg
    842 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thank you - Yes you could be onto something with them being white rocks (just googled them). I know the person that I purchased the eggs from had barred rocks and leghorns...they did have a few other breeds but I wish I could remember what they were, I don't think cornish was mentioned though. Are cornish X's disliked for some reason? perhaps aggressive?
Cornish x’s are bred specifically to grow as fast as possible, so often die young and need to be put on diets to survive fast butchering age.

The black and white is a Barred Rock, and a boy - to me. The two white ones, now they look like Cornish Crosses (possible Leghorns too...but I'm not sure). In the first picture of the two, the one on the left is a boy, right is a girl.

So yeah,
For a new chicken owner, you did pretty well trying to guess the chickens' ID. :D

Also, I'd probs keep the barred rooster instead of the Cornish :)
Thank you!! I have been trying to learn as much as I can lately, there is a lot more to hatching chickens than I first thought... this has been an exercise for my seven year old daughter, although it has quickly turned into my own project HA! It is fun though and I do love seeing the personalities develop.

Can I ask why you would pick the barred rock over the potential Cornish?

Thanks again, it is so helpful to talk to others! :)

Thank you!! I have been trying to learn as much as I can lately, there is a lot more to hatching chickens than I first thought... this has been an exercise for my seven year old daughter, although it has quickly turned into my own project HA! It is fun though and I do love seeing the personalities develop.

Can I ask why you would pick the barred rock over the potential Cornish?

Thanks again, it is so helpful to talk to others! :)
Lovely project! Chickens are always worth it! 🤗 And why I would pick the Barred: It's because generally, they have better temperaments and they are more stunning when they grow older. But then again, your choice. :D
Barred Roo:
1613040095262.png

Cornish
1613040157763.png

(Keep in mind that pictured Cornish is a show quality, perfect, bred to the SOP bird. Not all of them are like that)

Lovely project! Chickens are always worth it! 🤗 And why I would pick the Barred: It's because generally, they have better temperaments and they are more stunning when they grow older. But then again, your choice. :D
Barred Roo:
View attachment 2525816
Cornish
View attachment 2525817
(Keep in mind that pictured Cornish is a show quality, perfect, bred to the SOP bird. Not all of them are like that)
Wow, yes, I totally agree! The barred rock rooster looks so prestigious with the patterning! At the moment mine are going through that diseased look phase haha, so seeing the adult bird photos gives me hope :p

I agree, your br is a boy as well as one of your cornish. All chicks go through a gangly, awkward stage and then blossom into their beautiful fluffy selves.
20201219_160451.jpg

All are cockerels.
Thank you, I certainly think two are cockerels but I am a newbie so can you elaborate on why you think they are all cockerels, especially for the one I think could be a hen? I'm trying to learn how to identify genders so it would be super helpful to know the reasons behind your observations. :)

Barred Roo:
View attachment 2525816
Cornish
View attachment 2525817
Cornishes are different than cornish x’s. These aren’t cornishes.

Back
Top Bottom