Breed help needed please. newly hatched chick. Thank you:)

Missymac

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
NY
I hatched this little chick yesterday:

This is the father:(Silkie x RIR)

Judgeing by the egg size and color(large med brown egg) I have eliminated the easter eggers, polish, Appen spitz, Buff orpingtons, and Tetra Tints.

I have eliminated the buff brahma due to the fact the father has feathered legs and the brahma has feathered legs so I am assuming the baby would to if she was the mom.

I am not sure who lays the very dark brown eggs or the extra large eggs out of the next batch but here is what I am down to out of my other breeds:
1.Golden Comet
2.RIR
3.GLW
4.Black Star/Black australorp (I am not sure which she is)(she is black with black legs and a greenish hue to her feathers)

Any idea?

Last edited:
I put it back in thethe incubator right away. I had a mini space heater near it as my humidity is up in the bator and it is not drying out very fast.. I am concerned for him as I go back into lockdown tonight for eggs due to hatch on the 31st. I am not sure what to do with him. Any suggestions? I have to candle a broody's eggs tonight to see if her eggsare still going, she was kicked off her next for an unknown period of time no less than 2 hours. I moved her to a special cage on my back porch. If none of hr eggs are viable, can I remove most of them, and slip the chick undr her?

I put it back in thethe incubator right away. I had a mini space heater near it as my humidity is up in the bator and it is not drying out very fast.. I am concerned for him as I go back into lockdown tonight for eggs due to hatch on the 31st. I am not sure what to do with him. Any suggestions? I have to candle a broody's eggs tonight to see if her eggsare still going, she was kicked off her next for an unknown period of time no less than 2 hours. I moved her to a special cage on my back porch. If none of hr eggs are viable, can I remove most of them, and slip the chick undr her?

You could, but then she would probably stop sitting on the eggs, so only do it if the eggs aren't going to hatch. If you are going to do that, it is best to slip it under the hen at night. I've heard some people having a broody who kills her chicks if the eggs weren't hers. She must have known by the way the looked. So when you put it under make sure she takes it in, then check again in the morning.

I've given a broody chicks during the day, and have had great luck. I wouldn't want to leave before seeing her taking care of them.

IF they are not viable, no reason why you shouldn't :)

I just feel bad moving it to a brooder all by itself. The rest of its eggs(3 others) that were due to hatch with it, didn't hatch. 1 was shrink wrapped fully developed, 1 died some where around a week, and the other drowned I believe in its shell also completely developed but started pipping 3 days ealy then stopped, by the time I decided enough time had gone by to check on it, it was dead. I have more due to hatch on the 31st as I said before, but it will be quite lonely until then and if the others don't hatch, then it will be competely alone for awhile.

I just feel bad moving it to a brooder all by itself. The rest of its eggs(3 others) that were due to hatch with it, didn't hatch. 1 was shrink wrapped fully developed, 1 died some where around a week, and the other drowned I believe in its shell also completely developed but started pipping 3 days ealy then stopped, by the time I decided enough time had gone by to check on it, it was dead. I have more due to hatch on the 31st as I said before, but it will be quite lonely until then and if the others don't hatch, then it will be competely alone for awhile.
Aww :(

I've heard of people using a plush toy and a mirror for company.

Back
Top Bottom