Breed Help :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jun 5, 2010.

1. bandits98

bandits98 Hatching

Jun 10, 2010

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Here's a picture of my SLW from Ideal Hatchery.
    as a chick
    [​IMG]

about 12 weeks.
    [​IMG]

I wish I had a more recent picture of her her lacing is coming in really beautifully.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! She is beautiful! I am settled on SLW for sure but I keep going between RIR and EE's.. LoL!

4. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] ooo tough one ..... RIRs and EEs are both great. I consistently get an egg every day from my RIR's, not quite as consistent with the EE's. Both are friendly and neither seem to be broody. It would be a tough choice for me now that I've had a couple of EE's. But since I can only have a few and if I had to choose I'd probably go with RIR's again just because they are little egg machines for me. Good thing is .. you can't go wrong with either in my book.

By the way .... I thought Sacramento hadn't passed new laws yet on how many chickens you could have. Have they amended the number and do you know off-hand what that number is? I knew there was plenty of discussion going on (most of my family is up there). I'd love to encourage one of my sisters to get a bunch of chickens [​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have one EE so far, she is awesome but I have heard they are moderate layers as opposed to RIR and BR. One reason I am leaning toward EE is the chance of a colored egg, but also how different the breed varies. I also know RIR are egg laying machines [​IMG] which makes me lean toward them. I'm swaying in the wind! LOL. Well, we will find out what I come home with this Wednesday, watch it end up being something TOTALLY different then my original idea. Hehe that's how it works [​IMG]

About Sacramento, I am in the city limits, in deep south sacramento, so I am illegal. Far as I know you can have a max of 6 hens in the county, no roosters. NO chickens in city limits at this time. I'm walking distance to the county line though, and my landlord as well as some friend neighbors know I have chickens. The law about chickens is definately being challenged though, there have been a few good articles about illegal backyard flock owners. Most of who take excellent care of their hens, and don't push the limits with roosters. But yeah, far as I know I am completely illegal.

How embarressing would it be if I had to go to jail for my chicken owning and tell that story to a bunch of real criminals lol!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'd suggest you also look at the Delaware and Australorps with your criteria with the Buff Orps close behind. The main reason is that my Buff Orps lay smaller eggs than the other two and Buff Orps are more likely to go broody. It sound like broody is not high on your criteria list. With just a few you may be able to tell them apart from others of the same breed, but that can be challenging. I suggest getting those spiral rings to put on their legs so you can tell them apart. You can get different colors or use different numbers of rings on different feet to tell them apart.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I absolutely LOVE the look of Delawares. Before I got my BR and EE I was looking at them for a while. The only reason I am unsure is I will be getting hatchery birds from Belt Hatchery. Well, from my feed store but really Belt. I've heard hatchery Delawares tend to be aggresive. BUT I am open minded obviously so if that is not true do let me know your experience with the breed. What color eggs do they lay? I was also thinking BO, but decided against that because of their feathering. I want a lighter feathered bird, only because summers here are worse then winters. Our winters are easy, but summers get HOT. Do tell me any information you have on Delawares though!

8. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Quote:HA HA HA .... I'm thinking they wouldn't toss you in jail the first time... but it does sounds like something out of a Barney Miller episode ([​IMG] hm, are you old enough to appreciate that?). And, yes, I've read several articles in the Bee, so when I saw you were from the Sacto area, I thought maybe the city council had passed a new ordinance. My sister will have to wait ... her neighbors are far too close and yard too small to it just yet. Thanks, though ... and good luck!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yeah [​IMG] My yard is not huge, but it's a good size and our neighbors are aware of the chickens, at least those that are friendly to us. The others probably won't find out, my coop is VERY hidden by trees and plants and such. The girls are not noisy at all, and I am vigilant to keeping the smell down. I am off school for the semester so I have plenty of time to make sure the coop and run are clean and tidy.

Hopefully the law will move forward for city chicken owners though, I am keeping my fingers crossed!! At the same time though there should be awareness of neglect because I know I wouldn't want to live next to a chicken owner who doesn't take care of their flock.

Does anybody reading this thread own Wyandottes? How are they as layers? An egg a day? Or every other day? Any info would help [​IMG] I am starting to learn more toward RIR.. I love the combs the hens get, and they seem to be friendly birds.

Edited to add: NOT to make you feel old LOL but I have NO idea who Barney Miller is [​IMG] lol

10. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:So what do I recommend - - your top egg layers would be the leghorn. RIR, or NHR. All the others are decent egg layers and you will still be happy with them.

Personality and egg color: Go for Light Brahama, Buff Orpington or Black Australorp.

Inidividual coloring - - - good luck on that one - - - use leg bands to tell them apart or get different colors in the same breed - - like orpingtons and brahmas can come in different colors

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: