Breed help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stephdbarb, Sep 24, 2014.

1. stephdbarb

stephdbarb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Brooktrails CA
    Hi! My daughter came home with 6 chicks. Two are obviously silkies and two each of these. They are so pretty and the grey (yes a little dirty in the pic) are amazingly friendly but what are they?? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. stephdbarb

Jul 22, 2014
    Brooktrails CA
    Its hard to tell because of the flash but the grey are solid grey like the color on their head in the pic with dark blue feet/legs

3. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I don't know but my guess would be the first Lavender Orpington rooster? And the second maybe Easter Egger pullet? Just an idea. It'll be easier to tell when they feather out more.

4. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    The first one looks to be a lavender Orpington cockerel. The second looks like she could be a golden laced Wyandotte pullet (As of yet) :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Oh. I took a closer look at the second one. I agree with Wyandotte. That didn't even come to mind when I first looked at her.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How big is the lavender bird compared to the Wyandotte? I was going to guess it was a self blue Olde English Game bantam cockerel...

7. stephdbarb

Jul 22, 2014
    Brooktrails CA
    Ahh roosters?!? Help! Someone tell me what to do with roosters!! :/ my 12 to daughter went out for a few 4H silkies and came home with quite a menagerie! We're new to chickens so roosters really wasn't in the plans anytime soon.

Here's a few pics of the lavender and the possibly Wyandotte side by side. The lavender are smaller and almost remind me of a blackbird in how smooth and sleek the feathers are. The other are a bit more ratty looking. The crazy fluffy neck feathers are too funny!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    That looks just like a lavender Orpington. And it is a rooster. Maybe give him to a friend?

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Eat the rooster for dinner (don't know if you can do that well with this breed lol), rehome them or keep then for your flock. This one sure is pretty :)

10. stephdbarb

Jul 22, 2014
    Brooktrails CA
    Ah def won't be eating them. Just frustrated, she was told by the shop she had 6 silkies and came back with two silkies, two Wyandotte and two roosters Orpingtons. Oh well.. now to deal with my roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by