Breed help :-/

ChickenLover200

Crowing
8 Years
May 10, 2013
I'll be in the barn!
Well there's also this one chicken that I am not sure if she is a rooster.. (whatever he/she is doesn't seem to crow)

These hens or roos are very flighty so it was hard for me to get the pictures that I have here..
1. This is a Golden Campine I figured out.. she was ordered in a batch of rare breed chicks.. as with the other hens(?) in this thread. Some people in my family seem to think that she is actually a he.. I'm not quite sure myself.. so i thought I'd get suggestions:
These are the best pictures I could get because I can't get very close to her or him..

2. I was told before she was an austrolorp, but I think whoever said that was wrong. I'm guessing she's a Black Sumatra hen.. do you all agree?

3. This is Cookies n' Cream I have no idea what breed she is.. also is she a girl?
-She has slate/gray colored legs
-somewhat tall comb
-I don't think there are any saddle feathers visible

a picture from the back

here's another picture of the Black Sumatra:

4. Sicilian Buttercup: girl? or am I wrong?

I can't see the picture very well, but the below picture is either of the Golden Campine or of the Sicilian Buttercup

Cupcake the Black Sumatra.. ignore the Gold Link hen who got into the picture

the black sumatra

and the Sicilian buttercup

Sorry about the mud.. I was one of those members who was reading the article a few days ago to get rid of mud.. lol

Well there's also this one chicken that I am not sure if she is a rooster.. (whatever he/she is doesn't seem to crow)

These hens or roos are very flighty so it was hard for me to get the pictures that I have here..
1. This is a Golden Campine I figured out.. she was ordered in a batch of rare breed chicks.. as with the other hens(?) in this thread. Some people in my family seem to think that she is actually a he.. I'm not quite sure myself.. so i thought I'd get suggestions:
These are the best pictures I could get because I can't get very close to her or him..

Golden Campine rooster. Campines can be hard to sex because they have a form of hen-feathering, which means the males don't develop the long, pointed saddle, hackle, and sickle feathers as the females. However, your bird does look like a rooster based on comb development.

2. I was told before she was an austrolorp, but I think whoever said that was wrong. I'm guessing she's a Black Sumatra hen.. do you all agree?
Black Sumatra hen.

3. This is Cookies n' Cream I have no idea what breed she is.. also is she a girl?
-She has slate/gray colored legs
-somewhat tall comb
-I don't think there are any saddle feathers visible
Lakenvelder hen.

4. Sicilian Buttercup: girl? or am I wrong?
Sicilian Buttercup hen.
I can't see the picture very well, but the below picture is either of the Golden Campine or of the Sicilian Buttercup

Sorry about the mud.. I was one of those members who was reading the article a few days ago to get rid of mud.. lol

They are all about 6-7 months old.. got them in April as 2 day old chicks They've all been laying I think... We have silkies in with them so it's hard to tell the eggs apart.
I haven't heard the rooster crow.. is it possible that he could just be a very large female? I'm thinking they are bantam sized right? Because they haven't really grown much.

How old are the birds in question?

I'm just not seeing the rooster in that first bird. Everything about it looks rounded and feminine.

Here's pics of Spock I lifted from the infamous Crazy Lady Neighbor thread (here, if you're interested https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826926/neighbor-hates-my-chickens-will-she-do-them-harm and hope TheSitComGirls doesn't mind me swiping pics--it was just the thread I could easily access with a Campine rooster)

Spock at 4 1/2 months
LL

And Spock as a grown-up
LL

You can see the differences in the gawkiness in the younger pic, and the feathering in this pic. I'm going with hen on the OP's bird. Other than that, agree with BantamLover21's calls

How old are the birds in question?

I'm just not seeing the rooster in that first bird. Everything about it looks rounded and feminine.

Here's pics of Spock I lifted from the infamous Crazy Lady Neighbor thread (here, if you're interested https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826926/neighbor-hates-my-chickens-will-she-do-them-harm and hope TheSitComGirls doesn't mind me swiping pics--it was just the thread I could easily access with a Campine rooster)

Spock at 4 1/2 months
LL

And Spock as a grown-up
LL

You can see the differences in the gawkiness in the younger pic, and the feathering in this pic. I'm going with hen on the OP's bird. Other than that, agree with BantamLover21's calls
the chickens in question are about 6-7 months I believe.. I'm not exactly sure. The other chickens I got with them are laying right now. This is kind of molting season for our chickens so it's hard to look at tail feathers since she/he has none.
I like your signature by the way!

Back
Top Bottom