Breed ID and development of my 18 day old chicks?

cowcreekgeek

Songster
7 Years
Sep 14, 2012
Hurricane, WV
Rather than sortin' through google's billions of photos for those similar to my own, I figured askin' y'all would be far easier, and more fun.

Guesses/opinions are welcome/appreciated.
I'd also like to know your thoughts on their current development, when compared to other 17-18 day old chicks ...

:: click any image for a larger (1280 px width) version ::

That was a lot of uploading, which meant a lot of downloading for you ... sorry ... I appreciate you for takin' the time to look 'em over.

Last edited:
#1 is a Buff Brahma; #2 is Golden Lakenverder; # 3 ca n be any black mottled breed ( I think is Ancona, but is way to early to tell for sure); # 4#5 and # 6 are Sicilian Buthercups

#1 is a Buff Brahma; #2 is Golden Lakenverder; # 3 ca n be any black mottled breed ( I think is Ancona, but is way to early to tell for sure); # 4#5 and # 6 are Sicilian Buthercups

Thank you for your help (and, now, I'm gonna ask a bit more ~'-)

Compared to others of the breeds you believe these to be, how developed do they appear for 17-18 day old chicks?

with 100 pullets you are more than likely going to get at least 3 cockerals. in 1 more month you will be able to tell by the comb and wing feathers. small comb long wing feathers = pullet. bigger comb shorter wing feathers=cockeral.

They look just right- very healthy.

Good to hear ~ I will be posting better pictures, which I'll take today if time permits (their '21st day after birth'day ~'-)

with 100 pullets you are more than likely going to get at least 3 cockerals. in 1 more month you will be able to tell by the comb and wing feathers. small comb long wing feathers = pullet. bigger comb shorter wing feathers=cockeral.

Feared that possibility; hoped, for now, to have all females. Based upon statistical probability, there's 3/4 of 1% chance I'll have to revise my plan ~'-)

True Blue Anaconda (baby's got *no* back ~'-)

I think.

happy
21st
day after birth day!

Was runnin' behind, but will upload new photos Saturday.
Still hopin' to ID these breeds.

Thanks ... d@niel/cowcreekgeek ~'-)​

Last edited:
Speckled Sussex Boy

That'd be a bit bad, not that I've anything specific against the breed ... already suspecting I've more than one bird that ain't gonna lay eggs.

But, the bird is rumpless (missing the tail, and associated part of it's spine).

Also, as it is clearly not a snake (anaconda) I think I meant to type araucana rumpless

The toes, and leg color looks right for *some* images found (most esp. the blue).

Araucanas have Pea comb- this baby has single comb. Is it missing the meat part of the tail or only the feathers? Rumplessnes can happen in any breed some times. It is very possible it will grow tail.

Back
Top Bottom