6 day old chick, gaping/strange drinking motion?

Ambera

Chirping
Apr 10, 2022
Somerset, UK
Hi,

I just want to check that this drinking motion is normal? I've seen this old thread, which sounds like what my chick is doing, which scared me as their chick died.

My yellow chick (pekin bantam) was doing some weird head movements after drinking - it was drinking a lot and not eating at the time. It was sort of gaping, but not really? It had just woken up at the time if that matters? I saw it crawl out from under the mother hen all disheaveled, bleary eyes, stretch and yawn. Anyone know what this is/if this is okay? See the video:

I just bought this chick yesterday from a home-breeder who hatched it in an incubator and was keeping it in a crowded brooder with larger chicks.

I also googled coccidiosis and got scared, none of my chicks were vaccinated as they are all home-bred, and I don't think I have medicated feed.

How does its crop feel (in the upper right chest?) What type of bedding has been used? I wonder if the chick was eating some bedding? You might try to get it to eat some tiny pieces of chilled coconut oil in case of a crop impaction. Also check to see that it is pooping, and doesn’t have dried poop on its vent.

How does its crop feel (in the upper right chest?) What type of bedding has been used? I wonder if the chick was eating some bedding? You might try to get it to eat some tiny pieces of chilled coconut oil in case of a crop impaction. Also check to see that it is pooping, and doesn’t have dried poop on its vent.

Crop feels okay, full but slightly squidgy, not too firm? Feels like the other chicks crops I think.

They have been on hay and I have noticed them trying to eat it/get the grass seeds.... I want to switch to straw it's just hay is all I had at the moment!

It is pooping normally, and a clean vent, so hopefully all is okay. It seems okay otherwise - it's the least energetic and the least keen to leave mum of the 3 chicks I have. It's still eating chick crumb and drinking - it just seems to drink more than the others.

Sometimes a foreign object, like a hair, can get wrapped around the tongue or lodged in the throat. Get a helper and inspect the chick's throat with a strong light.

You can make electrolytes with a cup of water, a tiny pinch of salt, and a tsp of sugar. Cooked egg and watery chicken feed cannbe good to offer.

You can make electrolytes with a cup of water, a tiny pinch of salt, and a tsp of sugar. Cooked egg and watery chicken feed cannbe good to offer.

Thank you! I'll try some scrambled egg tomorrow - could I add the salt/sugar to the egg too?

I always thought you should avoid feeding eggs to hens (in case they get a taste for it!) but I've seen lots of posts recommending scrambled eggs for young chicks and mums

Update: The chick is still doing the weird head motions, not just when drinking - I've seen them gaping/yawning/shaking their head just sitting. It's now 9-10 days old (Pekin bantam).

I tried giving them verm-x or maybe Battles poultry drink.

They are half the size of the other two chicks (even the lavender pekin who is meant to be the same age). This Yellow pekin is 30g, whilst the Lavender is 45g. The Yellow had put on 5g in 2 days, whilst the Lavender had put on 10g.
The Lavender has fully feathered wings and is growing the first few tail fluffs too, whilst this Yellow chick looks almost 4 days younger, with no real wing or tail feathers.
The yellow seems to be the runt of the three, much smaller and will only eat the crumbs the others leave behind, rather than from the feeder. The other two are eating machines now, and this one doesn't eat as much.

Last edited:
I would not use the Verm-X herbal tonic or the poultry drink (it has iron which is not necessary, can be overdosed, and might constipate her. I would offer the home made electrolytes and encourage feed. Watery mushy feed might be offered.

Back
Top Bottom