Bloody stools in 3 week old chicks

Witchychickens

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Central MA
Hi all, I have 7 chicks they’re roughly 3 weeks old (this Saturday) This morning I went to clean the top of the brooder and there is blood tinged mucous in some of the poop. They are vaccinated to my knowledge, I did message the hatchery to confirm. My question is, when treating them, I’m only seeing Amprolium for calves. I’m assuming I can titrate the dose for chicks by Kg of weight? But do I have to dose them all separately or can I just add it to their drinking water?

Is there anything I should be concerned about otherwise? I’m brooding them in the house and my kids do go in there and visit them, but we always wash hands. Also, I composted their shavings on 3 occasions. Do I need to trash my whole compost pile? It’s not ready for use yet, anyway.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. This is my first time having chicks.

Don't worry about your compost pile, coccidia are ubiquitous and the chicks will slowly acclimate and build resistance as they age.

Just add to their drinking water and prepare fresh every day. You could also wet a bit of their feed with Corid and offer the mash seoarstely to make sure they will ingest enough of the medication.

Some strains of coccidia don't respond to amprolium and would need to be treated with something like Toltrazuril, SMZ-TMZ or Sulfadimethoxin.

It is important to only add vitamin supplements that do not contain vitamin B1 (thiamine) during treatment.

I hope they will get better soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Last edited:
Don't worry about your compost pile, coccidia are ubiquitous and the chicks will slowly acclimate and build resistance as they age.

Just add to their drinking water and prepare fresh every day. You could also wet a bit of their feed with Corid and offer the mash seoarstely to make sure they will ingest enough of the medication.

Some strains of coccidia don't respond to amprolium and would need to be treated with something like Toltrazuril, SMZ-TMZ or Sulfadimethoxin.

It is important to only add vitamin supplements that do not contain vitamin B1 (thiamine) during treatment.

I hope they will get better soon.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

Thank you! I contacted the hatchery and she thinks it could be intestinal lining shed but said it wouldn’t hurt to treat them. I got their water all set this afternoon.

Dosage for Corid is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water mixed daily as the only source of water for 5-7 days.
Yes, thank you. I did that today.

I will keep monitoring them. It wasn’t a lot of red but when I cleaned the feces off the brooder top, there was 2 areas where it was streaked red with some mucous. I haven’t seen anymore today.

I am changing the bedding every 3-4 days and using pine shavings so the only place I can really see the droppings is on the brooder top. There was formed and normal droppings with Urate also present.

Back
Top Bottom