Does Coccidosis always cause bloody stool?

KarenDanchal

Hatching
Mar 20, 2024
I have a 2 1/2 year old Isa Brown Chicken with dark brown diahrrea and yellow urates, although she is just starting to have some solid feces but still with yellow caps. I would not say that it is foamy or greasy yellow and there is NO blood. She had a course of fenbendazole (3 days followed by 1 dose 10 days later) as well as doxycycline 25 mg given for 3 days, by my vet. She is not getting worse, but, she is not really bouncing back yet. She likes to drink a lot, her comb is pale, she puffs her self out but she is eating. I just gave her yogurt this morning for the first time, hoping that would help the diarrhea.

I guess my main question is: I've read that Coccidosis can cause yellow stool and I am considering tyring corid. But, if there is no blood, and and the only thing that is yellow is the urate cap, is it silly to try corid?

Thanks
Karen

No, blood in droppings isn't always present when a chicken has coccidiosis.
Why was the chicken given fenbendazole and why only for 3 days with a dose 10 days later?
Why was your chicken given doxycycline and why only for 3 days?

Neither of the above are treatments for coccidiosis.
Can you post some pictures of your chickens droppings?

Can you post pictures of the chicken and the droppings? Yellow urates can indicate bile in the urates from a liver problem. Liver issues in chickens may be due to possible fatty liver disease, a reproductive infection/disorder, cancer, and heart failure, especially in meat birds. Coccidiosis usually affects young chickens, and only a couple of strains cause blood in droppings. Did the vet do a fecal float to check for coccidia? When I give fenbendazole for worming, to get all of the bad worms, I give 1.25 ml orally for 5 days. Do you know what the doxycycline was for and is it supposed to be continued for a week or more?

No, blood in droppings isn't always present when a chicken has coccidiosis.
Why was the chicken given fenbendazole and why only for 3 days with a dose 10 days later?
Why was your chicken given doxycycline and why only for 3 days?

Neither of the above are treatments for coccidiosis.
Can you post some pictures of your chickens droppings?
Thank you for your reply. My vet saw whipworms in my chicken's stool and the directions on the demormer said to give for 3 days for more severe cases followed by 1 dose 10 days later. Prior to doing the fecal test, my vet had given me the antibiotics to try for 3-5 days to see if that would help while we were waiting for the fecal test. Once the fecal test came back positive for worms, I stopped the anti-biotics.

Since she is not fully better, I was just thinking about different problems she could have like coddidosis or salmonella for example since she was still having diarrhea, yelllow caps, and is underweight with prominent keel, compared to the other chickens.

Can you post pictures of the chicken and the droppings? Yellow urates can indicate bile in the urates from a liver problem. Liver issues in chickens may be due to possible fatty liver disease, a reproductive infection/disorder, cancer, and heart failure, especially in meat birds. Coccidiosis usually affects young chickens, and only a couple of strains cause blood in droppings. Did the vet do a fecal float to check for coccidia? When I give fenbendazole for worming, to get all of the bad worms, I give 1.25 ml orally for 5 days. Do you know what the doxycycline was for and is it supposed to be continued for a week or more?
There was no fecal float test. My vet looked at the feces under a microscope. I used "Poultry Dewormer 5x" fenbedazole capsules which I sprinkled on her food - I used it as directed on the bottle. The doxycycline was supposed to be a "just in case something else was going on" treatment.

Is it common for a 2 1/2 year old layer (Isa Brown) to get liver damage?

Back
Top Bottom