Breed ID??

AudreyRangel

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
I bought these from a local breeder as 2-day olds. He didn't know what breed the parents were, but he showed me a picture. From what I saw there was a White Chinese, Roman Tufted, and perhaps a mix (light brown and white spotted). I may be wrong but those breeds don't add up in comparison to what the offspring look like in my opinion. Anybody have any ideas???
I love my babies either way, I'm just curious!!

I've included 2 pics (we believe the brown ones are males and the white/gray one is a female)

Thanks!
20200723_174616.jpg
20200723_174703.jpg

They all have either an African parent or a white Chinese parent. I know someone on Instagram that has a White Chinese x Toulouse cross and he looks quite a lot like the brown babies. I’m thinking that the brown African colors are dominant and that the double dilute genes that cause a goose to be white just cover it up in White Chinese geese but when you cross them with a grey goose it brings the colors out?
The pale baby looks like a dilute with the spotting gene “wonderful gene combination!” when they get one copy of the gene it causes them to be dilute, two copies and they turn out white.
I’m not an expert on color genetics and I still don’t fully understand it all so I may be wrong but here’s a good guide to color genetics https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-guide-to-colour-and-pattern-genetics-in-geese.561779/

Congratulations on such beautiful birds!

You might have something very rare with the pale baby actually, they may be buff with a dilute gene + the spotting gene. I think dilute Buff is called lilac. Definitly pretty cool!

You might have something very rare with the pale baby actually, they may be buff with a dilute gene + the spotting gene. I think dilute Buff is called lilac. Definitly pretty cool!
Wow, I didn't know things could get so complicated and detailed. Thanks so much for the info!!

They all have either an African parent or a white Chinese parent. I know someone on Instagram that has a White Chinese x Toulouse cross and he looks quite a lot like the brown babies. I’m thinking that the brown African colors are dominant and that the double dilute genes that cause a goose to be white just cover it up in White Chinese geese but when you cross them with a grey goose it brings the colors out?
The pale baby looks like a dilute with the spotting gene “wonderful gene combination!” when they get one copy of the gene it causes them to be dilute, two copies and they turn out white.
I’m not an expert on color genetics and I still don’t fully understand it all so I may be wrong but here’s a good guide to color genetics https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-guide-to-colour-and-pattern-genetics-in-geese.561779/

Congratulations on such beautiful birds!
I would love to know what the white Chinese GanderLooks like especially compared to pure Toulouse. I will be looking at geese from a mixed flock and it is important to me to know which ones are mixed. Could you please direct me to your friend on Instagram.

I would love to know what the white Chinese GanderLooks like especially compared to pure Toulouse. I will be looking at geese from a mixed flock and it is important to me to know which ones are mixed. Could you please direct me to your friend on Instagram.
That would be debsdehonkey on instagram, the goose in question “Callum Wigglebum” is the brownish toned goose with the white crescent and the dark stripe down the back of the neck in the lead, he turned out to be a she and had a son this year, he’s the white and grey speckled goose beside her in the lead here https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVgLhZcqYq9/?utm_medium=copy_link

Last edited:
I am getting some photos of these birds tomorrow, But in general I think I prefer to deal with people who actually know the genetics of their birds. I like to be precise. I do crosses but in a defined way so I know who the parents are.

Back
Top Bottom