Breed Identification Contest!

Breed Identification Contest!

• Yes! I got all 8 correct! I am a chicken genius!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 7: Not bad, I got 7 correct!

• 6:: Hey I got 6 correct!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Just 5 correct!

• 4: At least I got 4 correct!

• 3: Oops, just 3 correct.... I may need to buy the CHICKENS FOR DUMBIES book!

• 2: So embarrassing, just 2 correct ... I need to consider buying the CHICKENS FOR DUMBIES book!

• 1: Since I only got 1 correct, I am considering buying the CHICKENS FOR DUMBIES book!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 0: I missed them all.... I definitely need the CHICKENS FOR DUMBIES book!

• Total voters

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
Frank Reese Jr posted this on Facebook this morning. Can you name the breeds without looking down and reading the answers? This was a test Frank was taught as a child by Hy Patton.

Quote: Frank Reese Jr.

The first person to identify each breed in this photo correctly and posts on this thread will be emailed a copy of our backyard coop plans. No cheating folks!

Times have changed and type on some of these have changed some. After someone gets all 8 answers correct I will post the photo with the correct answers.

Hint: Ameraucana aka Easter Eggers did not exist when this chart was made.

Hint: These are all Heritage, Standard of Perfection breeds.

Oh, poultry judges are ineligible to participate!

Did I mention the correct answers will be posted in a few days? So not revealing if anyone is right or wrong yet!

Hint: Answers are in post #10 below!

Last edited:
1- White Leghorn
2- White Faverolle
3- Modern Game (White)
4- White Chantecler
5- Rhode Island White
6- White Wyandotte
7- White Plymouth Rock
8- White Orpington

1 Leghorn
2 Faverolle
3 Cornish
4 Chantecler
5 Rhode Island White
6 Wyandotte
7 Plymouth Rock
8 Orpington

To be honest number 2 made me think for a moment. Couldn't decide if I was maybe looking at a old type Langshang or what, judging by the old type on a couple of the examples, (wasn't picking up on the extra fluff first off). Then I remembered seeing a similiar looking bird at the Ohio National a couple years back, just so happened I was talking to Gary Overton at the time, mystery solved. Don't believe I had ever seen a white one before. Pays to hang with knowledgable people sometimes,

This is very good. What I would also like to see to further increase type awareness, for the advanced students, is if possible block out comb, and leg feathering, and all birds painted white, (even breeds that do not come in white). Using only close to ideal examples of the various breeds to stress the differences.

Last edited:
1 Andalusian
2 cochin
3 cornish
4 leghorn
5 Wyandotte

6 Dominiques
7sussex
8Australorp

OK thats my best shot remember im new LOL i had fun looking up all the spellings .

Back
Top Bottom