Breed identification help

Lalea12

Hatching
Dec 5, 2023
This rooster joined our flock last week. He came from a home full of barnyard mixes, and I’m not sure what he is. Any help identifying would be appreciated! I’m just curious at this point. Thank you!

Attachments

• 69517D33-7489-4589-9EB2-E0F90D3FD3EF.jpeg
    69517D33-7489-4589-9EB2-E0F90D3FD3EF.jpeg
    596.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 59AF6F7A-FCCC-4458-9FFA-125B4C2E6A62.jpeg
    59AF6F7A-FCCC-4458-9FFA-125B4C2E6A62.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 16
This rooster joined our flock last week. He came from a home full of barnyard mixes, and I’m not sure what he is. Any help identifying would be appreciated! I’m just curious at this point. Thank you!

I agree...He is a very handsome boy.
@NatJ , @fluffycrow I'm sure could help with insight.

Barnyard mix.

He might be part Easter-Egger, but could equally well be something entirely different.

He got the gene for pea comb from one parent, and the gene for not-pea comb from the other parent (who might have had a single comb, or a rose comb, or might even have a pea comb like that rooster has but passed on the not-pea part of the genes.)

He got the gene for black feathers from at least one parent, but that parent could actually have been black, blue, lavender, chocolate, white, have had white mottling, have had white barring, or any combination of those things. (Each of those has the genes to be a black chicken, plus a modifier that may not show up in their offspring.)

Since he has clean feet, his parents probably had clean feet, or at least not heavily feathered feet. I do not think he is half Brahma or Cochin or Silkie, although he could be a smaller amount from one or another of them.

He does not have a crest or beard, but could possibly have a parent who does.

He could be something like Sumatra (pea comb, black feathers) x White Rock
Or he could be Easter Egger (pea comb) x Black Jersey Giant (black feathers)
Or he could be Dark Cornish (pea comb) x Mottled Ancona (black feathers)
Or Buckeye (pea comb) x Black Sexlink rooster (black feathers), although that cross would be more likely to have red leakage in the shoulders, which he does not show.

Or he could be a 4 way cross. For example, Yokohama (pea comb) x something, crossed with Lavender Orpington (gene for black feathers) x something else. Or Black Silkie (pea comb gene, black feathers) x something else, then crossed to another chicken that has clean feet and no crest/5th toe/etc.

The possibilities are practically endless.

Given how solidly black his feathers are (no red leakage), he might have black on both sides of his family tree, rather than having one parent that shows red or gold or silver. But that's not a certainty either.

(I'm not very good at recognizing body shape, so I mostly ignored it when giving examples of possible parentage. Body shape probably would rule out certain breed combinations, such as Black Sumatra x Black Minorca that should make a skinnier chicken than what he is.)

Barnyard mix.

He might be part Easter-Egger, but could equally well be something entirely different.

He got the gene for pea comb from one parent, and the gene for not-pea comb from the other parent (who might have had a single comb, or a rose comb, or might even have a pea comb like that rooster has but passed on the not-pea part of the genes.)

He got the gene for black feathers from at least one parent, but that parent could actually have been black, blue, lavender, chocolate, white, have had white mottling, have had white barring, or any combination of those things. (Each of those has the genes to be a black chicken, plus a modifier that may not show up in their offspring.)

Since he has clean feet, his parents probably had clean feet, or at least not heavily feathered feet. I do not think he is half Brahma or Cochin or Silkie, although he could be a smaller amount from one or another of them.

He does not have a crest or beard, but could possibly have a parent who does.

He could be something like Sumatra (pea comb, black feathers) x White Rock
Or he could be Easter Egger (pea comb) x Black Jersey Giant (black feathers)
Or he could be Dark Cornish (pea comb) x Mottled Ancona (black feathers)
Or Buckeye (pea comb) x Black Sexlink rooster (black feathers), although that cross would be more likely to have red leakage in the shoulders, which he does not show.

Or he could be a 4 way cross. For example, Yokohama (pea comb) x something, crossed with Lavender Orpington (gene for black feathers) x something else. Or Black Silkie (pea comb gene, black feathers) x something else, then crossed to another chicken that has clean feet and no crest/5th toe/etc.

The possibilities are practically endless.

Given how solidly black his feathers are (no red leakage), he might have black on both sides of his family tree, rather than having one parent that shows red or gold or silver. But that's not a certainty either.

(I'm not very good at recognizing body shape, so I mostly ignored it when giving examples of possible parentage. Body shape probably would rule out certain breed combinations, such as Black Sumatra x Black Minorca that should make a skinnier chicken than what he is.)
Thank you. I'm just starting to get into genetics and trying to absorb everything about my Marans and spend a lot of time in the International Marans SOP thread with Chooks man so I'm only focusing on them right now being new to it.
I had a few guesses in my mind of what the OP had, but his/hers Roos comb thru all that all out the window.
But I also try watching some of your and others reply to certain genetics based threads as it does help. So a big thank you for all you and others do. 👍

Back
Top Bottom