Breed identification on 3 chicks

brit01

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2015
I got all 3 of these chicks from a mixed box from someone local, they are probably mixed and certainly not breeder stock but I am DYING to at least somewhat identify their predominant breeds!! Chick #1 is about 2 weeks old and #2 and #3 are 3.5 weeks old.

Chick #1... black marking on head, light blue marking on back, and yellow legs with a greenish tint. I kind of thought he/she might be an EE because of the greenish legs, but I have never seen one with markings like this... also it appears to have a single comb (to my untrained eye), and I think EE's usually have pea combs?

Chick #2... This little guy/gal is so neat! The third picture is from when I first got it. It had white wing tips that have almost completely grow out to black now. Its feet started out half yellow and half black and have almost completely turned black now. It is getting some faint copper color around the face, and a little bit of brown color on the tips of the wing feathers. It has a pea comb (really no comb at all yet). My best guess is Black copper maran, but that is just a guess.

Chick #3... This chick has been throwing me for a loop for weeks now!! He/she started out as a little white puff ball, but is starting to feather out with muted black/gray markings. Her legs look like a mix of pink and gray? I have it's sibling that looks identical with less markings on it though and pinker legs. Delaware mix? Delawegger? It's a fast growing breed (outpacing my other chicks) and has a pea comb (well virtually no comb right now)...

Yes I sort thought australorp too! The only two things that made me think otherwise are that there is copper coming in around the face, and I think Aussie chicks usually have some white on their face for awhile? The lady I got the chicks from had both Aussies and FBCMs so it could easily be either! Does your Aussie have a pea comb or single comb?

Yes I sort thought australorp too! The only two things that made me think otherwise are that there is copper coming in around the face, and I think Aussie chicks usually have some white on their face for awhile? The lady I got the chicks from had both Aussies and FBCMs so it could easily be either! Does your Aussie have a pea comb or single comb?

This is mine at 1-2 weeks (I think). You can't see it but she has white on her breast too.

27ea002d76af9ec4105867bb920d4a3b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chick 1 looks like it might have a pea comb, could be an Easter Egger. The other two have what look to be rose combs, they start as a flat, wedge shape. With their pink feet, I'd guess they are Wyandotte crossed with either Australorp, Marans, Orpington, or Sussex.

Ah very interesting! So I was calling the pea comb a single comb and the rose comb a pea comb. It's really hard for me to tell the comb types still. What makes the first one a pea comb instead of a single? It's hard since they are little still :)

Back
Top Bottom