Breed Identification Please......

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
I got this chick and thought is was a Welsummer, but then noticed her legs are grayish and not pinkish. She is also more gray. And her comb actually doesn't even look like it's come in yet, no spikes or anything, just flat which makes me think when it does grow, it will be a pea comb. Anyone know what breed she is? Here's pictures:
View attachment 3309114
View attachment 3309115
Here's her leg color:
View attachment 3309117
This is her next to my Welsummer:
View attachment 3309120

Isn't an Aracauna the same as an Easter Egger?
No, they are not the same.

Araucana is a specific breed, just like Welsummer is a specific breed.
Ameraucana is another breed.
Cream Legbar is yet another breed.
All three of those breeds are supposed to lay blue eggs, but other traits are different (like how a Welsummer and Marans are both supposed to lay dark brown eggs, but have a bunch of other differences.)

Easter Eggers are chickens that are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but do not belong to any specific breed.

Hatcheries sometimes mis-label their Easter Eggers, and call them Araucana or Ameraucana even if they do not have the right traits for those breeds.

No, they are not the same.

Araucana is a specific breed, just like Welsummer is a specific breed.
Ameraucana is another breed.
Cream Legbar is yet another breed.
All three of those breeds are supposed to lay blue eggs, but other traits are different (like how a Welsummer and Marans are both supposed to lay dark brown eggs, but have a bunch of other differences.)

Easter Eggers are chickens that are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but do not belong to any specific breed.

Hatcheries sometimes mis-label their Easter Eggers, and call them Araucana or Ameraucana even if they do not have the right traits for those breeds.
Okay, thank you for the clarification! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom