Breed identity on a funky looking chicken

It’s taking everything in me not to order Houdans right now. Cackle has them and they’re unsexed and 3 minimum. I can’t have any roosters (already have 1 possible 2 cockerels that need to be handled when they’re larger) and I think it’s too hot here to be brooding chicks in my garage.

Also we don’t really have room for more. And I’m a first timer. And they aren’t even laying yet.

Talk me out of it. Someone knock some sense into me.
That's where i got my Rude Judith (photo above) and Esteban (also above)

It’s taking everything in me not to order Houdans right now. Cackle has them and they’re unsexed and 3 minimum. I can’t have any roosters (already have 1 possible 2 cockerels that need to be handled when they’re larger) and I think it’s too hot here to be brooding chicks in my garage.

Also we don’t really have room for more. And I’m a first timer. And they aren’t even laying yet.

their crests have to be trimmed so they can see. The muffs and beard merge otherwise. Therefore you MUST handle them regardless of gender. If they're in a mixed flock, they can get attacked for being blind otherwise.

View attachment 3583361
Skittles, my mottled houdan, on the far right. She's a handful!

They are PITA 😔 snippy little monsters. They'll try to fight you.

OH Shoot. From all these responses im wondering if maybe it's not the right bird for a neighborhood? Even just 1?
I think their feisty personality is a bigger issue than their noise making. If you can manage to stick with hens, it's easier. Try silkies.

Whatever you select, handle them often. Spend time with them. Even loid cockrells will calm/quiet down as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom