breed of my little chicken

coralup

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2015
Hi!
I have a little chicken and I don't know what breed she is. I live in Peru and some people from here says that is a Chilean breed, others says that is a fighting one. Can somebody tell me? Thanks in advance. This is Kiki :) And I am Corina

welcome-byc.gif

Your cute little bird does not match any breed we have here in the US. I'm not familiar with breeds or types native to your area, sorry. Love the coloring, though!

Does not look like any breed I recognize. Here, we would label it a mixed breed, but I would have to agree with miss heny on this one--its probably a game mix, or possibly some sort of breed exclusive to South America.

Thank you! Could you tell me please what does mean "game mix"? It refers to that breed raised for fighting? Or is a mixture of breeds? Please, I need to get me out of my doubt. I am not so familiarized with the term you used. I would like to mention that I wanted to buy another one, in order to get her some company, and is rarely find one and it selling about 15 US$ or more.

We all guess game mix because of the confirmation of her tail and back and her upright head and bright eyes. That in no way means she was bred for fighting as hens are not ever used in fighting from what I know. As a history, game breeds were originally used for fighting but have since been bred in the US for show only. As a hen she should not display any "fighting" characteristics if you get her another hen for company other than the initial pecking order establishment. In my experience these hens are super sweet and in the off chance you do find a rooster for her, they make great mothers!

Oh Lord yes game hens are one of the BEST broodies money can buy. Not only will they guard the chicks well they'll make sure they are tough and hardy, but beware they are also the hens that will kick their owner's butt if they mess with deem eggs or chicks
hide.gif
Normally game hens can be a bit stricter on developing the pecking order (they are more alpha by nature) so just keep a eye on the first meeting of her new flock mate.

We all guess game mix because of the confirmation of her tail and back and her upright head and bright eyes. That in no way means she was bred for fighting as hens are not ever used in fighting from what I know. As a history, game breeds were originally used for fighting but have since been bred in the US for show only. As a hen she should not display any "fighting" characteristics if you get her another hen for company other than the initial pecking order establishment. In my experience these hens are super sweet and in the off chance you do find a rooster for her, they make great mothers!

Thank you, she is so cute, is very curious, when I get close to her it seems like talking to me, she let me touch her, also is very impatient and noisy when doesn't have something she needs and I become impatient because I don't understand always her necessities. I hope to get her a rooster soon, but first I need to make her a bigger coop.

Oh Lord yes game hens are one of the BEST broodies money can buy. Not only will they guard the chicks well they'll make sure they are tough and hardy, but beware they are also the hens that will kick their owner's butt if they mess with deem eggs or chicks
hide.gif
Normally game hens can be a bit stricter on developing the pecking order (they are more alpha by nature) so just keep a eye on the first meeting of her new flock mate.

Oh My God! Seems like I'll have a little war here.... Her first 3 eggs were little, like 27 grams each one, and stopped laying since then (about 3 weeks ago). But she left me get her eggs. Sometimes I think she is a little bit stressed, when she need something and I don't know what. I am so new in this, and sometimes I feel stressed myself for her health, necessities or protection. Is like a little baby for me and thanks God you are here to be my guide! I am so grateful for all the help you can give me. Thank you miss heny

Haha no problem. I have raised mix game for almost my whole chicken life ( five years) so I have learned the many painful lessons of game hens! As long as she doesn't go broody you should be fine on the egg gathering, maybe look at a stuff animal to be her buddy for a bit? I know that sounds odd but some birds grow attach to stuff animals which calm them down until their future flock mate appears.

Now, I do not know the weather in Peru at the moment but is it starting to become winter down there? With less light a hen laying may cut back, and on top of stress of new home and chicken parent (
wink.png
) she might be a bit high strung about feeling 'secure' on laying her eggs. As long as she is bright eyed, bushy tailed and over all her normal nature and not having any odd stuff going on around her vent she should be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom