Breed of this couple?

moali99

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2015

Hi I have these 2 chickens that I bought recently, a hen and a rooster both related. They have 5 toes too. Just wondering if anyone knows what breed they belong to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Of the splash variety (blue doesn't breed true). If you breed those two, you'll only get splash laced, no blue or black. And the blue splashes will begin to wash out over time, making them look more like white laced reds (I hope that makes sense). Though they shouldn't have any extra toes, there might have been some mixing going on there at some point if there are extra toes present.

Last edited:
Of the splash variety (blue doesn't breed true). If you breed those two, you'll only get splash laced, no blue or black. And the blue splashes will begin to wash out over time, making them look more like white laced reds (I hope that makes sense). Though they shouldn't have any extra toes, there might have been some mixing going on there at some point if there are extra toes present.

Thanks alot for the info, but can you please explain these phrases such as "splash" and "laced" since I'm new to the Wyandotte breed

"Lacing" is the color that goes around the edge of each feather. Splash is the term for a color variety that is mostly white with some blue "splashes".

If blue birds (genetic code Bb) are mated together, they throw a percentage of ‘off’ colours in their chicks, the probability being 25% blacks (BB), 25% blue splashed whites (bb) as well as 50% blues (Bb). If you breed two of the splash colored ones together, you will only get splash offspring. Hope this helps a bit.

"Lacing" is the color that goes around the edge of each feather. Splash is the term for a color variety that is mostly white with some blue "splashes".

If blue birds (genetic code Bb) are mated together, they throw a percentage of ‘off’ colours in their chicks, the probability being 25% blacks (BB), 25% blue splashed whites (bb) as well as 50% blues (Bb). If you breed two of the splash colored ones together, you will only get splash offspring. Hope this helps a bit.

X2 on juliechick's explanation.

"Lacing" is the color that goes around the edge of each feather. Splash is the term for a color variety that is mostly white with some blue "splashes". If [COLOR=333333] blue birds (genetic code Bb) are mated together, they throw a percentage of ‘off’ colours in their chicks, the probability being 25% blacks (BB), 25% blue splashed whites (bb) as well as 50% blues (Bb). If you breed two of the splash colored ones together, you will only get splash offspring. Hope this helps a bit.[/COLOR]
That explains it. Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom