Breed on these free turkeys?

lilrider

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Northern Indiana
So I had an ad on Craigslist looking for heritage breed poults and I got this text. When I asked how much the reply was free I just have to pick them up (about an hour away). Now I'm wondering what breed? They didn't know just knew it was a heritage breed. If they are heritage breed I will pick them up. If they are BBBs I don't want them.

I am like no turkey expert but 4 days ago i went to a farmer to pick up eggs, his wife loves turkeys and she showed me all her heritages. They were awesome. Anyway that looks like a chocolate heritage i saw ..Again I am no expert but thats my opinion from what I learned that day.

I am like no turkey expert but 4 days ago i went to a farmer to pick up eggs, his wife loves turkeys and she showed me all her heritages. They were awesome. Anyway that looks like a chocolate heritage i saw ..Again I am no expert but thats my opinion from what I learned that day.
Too dark for chocolate, almost looks like BBB.

Well I'm picking them up tomorrow for free. Will BBBs lay eggs? I'm really hoping they are heritage

Yes BB turkey hens will lay eggs. The problem is that the BB toms get so heavy and aren't that agile and they often cannot complete the act of breeding the hens. This is why commercially the hens are fertilized by artificial insemination.

Ok I'm mostly worried about their comfort. I know the BBs can have health issues of they get too old. I'm picking them up at the end of the week now because I have to work tomorrow so gives me some time to finish the coop with turkey sized nest boxes.

Are BBs ok to free range? I've only had royal palms before and both were hens and could easily fly up high to roost or get away. We have ten acres. Coop is about 14ft by 10ft.

Ok I'm mostly worried about their comfort. I know the BBs can have health issues of they get too old. I'm picking them up at the end of the week now because I have to work tomorrow so gives me some time to finish the coop with turkey sized nest boxes.

Are BBs ok to free range? I've only had royal palms before and both were hens and could easily fly up high to roost or get away. We have ten acres. Coop is about 14ft by 10ft.

Young BBs can fly quite well but lose that ability as they gain weight.

Turkeys often do better with a pallet leaned up against a wall than they do with nest boxes. Over the many years that I have had turkeys only two of my hens have ever used a nest box. The pallet leaning against a wall has always been the first choice of the hens as a nesting site.

If those are BBs you can keep them healthier by free ranging them but their inability to fly can make them susceptible to ground dwelling predators.

If they are BBs any roosting sites should be close to ground level since they could easily injure a hip or foot by landing too hard when descending from the roost.

Ok I talked to the owner and she said they are a mix of mostly standard bronze and some royal palm. But definitely not BBs. I pick them up Thursday or Friday. I'm excited!

Back
Top Bottom