Breed preferences and rooster with strange behavior

fabfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
virginia
Hi all, I have a few things to ask. I am getting around six new chicks for spring this year and I am getting two new breeds that I've never had before. Speckled Sussex and buff brahmas. I am curious about their temperaments and if they are a good breed for families with children. Thanks. I have another exciting hatch coming, this time with an incubator, and I am trying to hatch silkies. How long do they tend to take to hatch? I haven't ever hatched silkies with an incubator and it seems to be going good so far I just need to know when to turn the automatic egg turner off. Thanks. Lastly, I have a rooster exhibiting strange behavior. He runs around the run all day an today, he even flew out and paced the yard Over and over. When I tried to put him in, he had a fit and ran to the back and into the barn refusing to let me pick him up, out of character for him. I thought it was the crazy weather or the other new rooster. He's a polish roo around two years old.

LOL that's a lot to cover for one post, but I can respond to all the questions.
wink.png

Brahmas are very sweet usually, even the roosters tend to be gentle giants(although there are never guarantees with roosters.) I think Sussex are supposed to be a nice breed, but I have never had one in my flock.

Silkies incubation time is the same as any chicken, around 21 days, so you would follow the same guidelines for incubation.

Polish roo's behavior is because of the new rooster. Just the sound of a new rooster can get the resident rooster all riled up. Polish roo wants to find out who is encroaching on his territory.

Thanks I am trying to sell the new roo...when I bought him he was supposed to be a hen. I am glad they are a nice breed they are very pretty. So far 21 days looks right... Some even hatching at 20.

Back
Top Bottom