Breed Q>?

Supposedly got 2 new Runner Ducks late last year. The white one (Whitey) turned out to be a drake & is the biggest Runner I have (9 blues). The black one (Blackie) is the smallest, has a green sheen all over, blue/green on wings, is a rounder shape and has a more horizontal stance. I thought maybe she was a Cayuga but her eggs are not dark enough - reportedly should be very dark in the beginning of the laying season. She is about 7 months old and has kind of paired off with Whitey. Any thoughts as to what she is - maybe a Runner/Cayuga mix?

I've read that animals have been known to produce better, when they are given individual names. I think the study was in cows.hey, I think it's worth tryin' for all kinds of production animals. I figure I can't knock something til ive tried it out. Or someone I know who currently doesn't do it could tell me if it makes a change in their production numbers?

I've read that animals have been known to produce better, when they are given individual names. I think the study was in cows.hey, I think it's worth tryin' for all kinds of production animals. I figure I can't knock something til ive tried it out. Or someone I know who currently doesn't do it could tell me if it makes a change in their production numbers?

I have heard that but from a milk production standpoint. I don't honestly know, most of our ducks have names but not all some are simply to close to be able to tell apart and the standard chickens and bantams have names but a few of them again hard to tell apart lol

Our bigger livestock do have names... i think it kinda depends on quantity and means to tell them apart.

Last edited:
Wow, that mystery duckling is getting HUGE compared to the KCs! Aren't magpies a medium/small sized duck? (I really know basically zero when it comes to magpies)
Could be an Ancona, I think they are on the bigger side. Khakis aren't huge though, from from what I've read, and I know from experience that just a difference of a pound on a duck makes them look SO much bigger, lol.

Back
Top Bottom