Breed Question and Verify My Roo Diagnosis :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by meadowsong, Apr 29, 2009.

1. meadowsong

meadowsong Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    These guys are all 3 weeks old today.

Okay, I'm pretty sure this guy is a roo. Not the best picture, but I only have 2 chicks whose combs are starting to redden. Plus he's got the red waddle thing going on and the other chick I have that looks like this one is still comb/wattle free

Also, any idea on his breed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I have these 3 large black birds. All black except for a small amount on white on the underside. The feathers coming in around the neck, have a reddish/glimmery tint to them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is my favorite chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly, are my red birds (pics of the same bird here though). I have a few of these also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have 14 of these mixed breeds and am trying to narrow down what I have haha! I guess I'm more interested in knowing what breed they are than what sex right now [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    1. Silver Laced Wyandotte Cockerel.
    2. Black Sex-Link Pullet
    3. Production Red Pullet
    4. Golden or Red Sex-Link Pullet

3. meadowsong

Apr 18, 2009
    I had never even considered a Silver Laced Wyandotte! I'll have to look at some more pictures. Thanks [​IMG]

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I agree

5. Lady Henevere

Lady Henevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Los Angeles County
    How can you tell a Production Red from a Rhode Island Red? Thanks.

6. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I agree as well. And a true RIR (not a production strain should be a deep dark mahogany red, almost black. Not a light orange-y red. Their body should also be solid and brick-like, not thin and wiry looking like so many of the production birds. The production RIR are really essentially a Leghorn, but they use the name RIR to sell them as an old-time favorite.

By saying that, I'm not implying the birds are literally Leghorns, but their type and purpose (popping out an egg a day) is very similar.

7. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I'd say, based on the first pic, human boy about 2yo! And a very cute one, at that. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. meadowsong

Apr 18, 2009
    Hahaha, Yes. Ollie is almost 2 y/o. You hit the nail on the head!

I was hoping that my red ones, would turn out to be RIR's but that's okay. I had to read on the cross breeds to make sex links. Interesting.

9. Guwisti

Guwisti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Van Buren, AR
    Quote:I agree except for #3 . Now I'm a newcomer, but I have two that looked just like #3 and they were/are Welsummers. But again, I'm a newbie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by