Breed questions!

hollisrepair

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2017
Need help! Roos are RIR and BR. Hens are red stars, BR, white leghorns, and maybe one red sex link. All the black and white ones are pure Barred Rocks. The black one with no white and red on the face maybe the sex link?

I'm thinking this is a result from RIR x red star?

Not sure this one! The yellow one on the left.

RIR x BR sex link??

Last edited:
Unless you had the Rocks separate, the black with white head spots could be mixed breed birds. That barred Rock rooster, if pure, will throw all black barred offspring. The Leghorn's dominant white would turn that black into white, but with the sex links the black will dominant the red and you'll get mostly black barred chicks, probably with some red leakage as they mature. They could also be black sex link males from the Red rooster over the barred hens.

The first chick is probably a Red x red.

Last chicks, logically would be a bsl pullet. I don't see any other cross there that would give you a black, non barred chick.

Thank you both! I honestly thought RIR x BR, Black wouldn't be more dominant. Oh well, we will see as they get older. Would feet color better determine breed? For example, I sold some fertile eggs to someone who got a full black chick with black feet. I was curious if that may be the black sex link as well. I read that the cockerels are fully black with white spot on head while the pullets have a bit of red in their beck area.

The classic black sex link from a hatchery is a Red rooster over a barred (black base) hen. the hens come out black, with varying amounts of reddish leakage at the throat/neck/chest. That shows that black trumps red when you mix those colors.

A black sex link cockerel will only have one copy of the barring gene, so he'll look just like a pure barred Rock pullet at hatch. The only way to tell them apart is to watch as they grow, the males will sprout combs and as they feather in the barring will be messier. As they mature, the barring will get even messier in most cases, and they'll get leakage in the hackle/saddle feathers and wing bows.

Any solid dark chick from your birds should be a black sex link pullet. I just don't see any other combo that could make a solid black chick.

Leg color doesn't really have anything to do with it, the black legs on that chick are an overlay of the "real" yellow skin color, caused by the dominant black genes.

Back
Top Bottom