Breed recommendations

delly1984

Hatching
Dec 20, 2015
Hi All,
At the moment we have 2 lovely silkie hens and are looking at adding to our little brood. We aren't too fussed about good egg layers. But would like friendly, docile breed.
I'd love some breed recommendations. Thanks in advance

Personally, I like Orpingtons but any breed can be gentled by early handling. It is normal to establish pecking order sometimes on a daily basis and can be seen as aggression. Only a problem when it gets bloody. Birds can get aggressive when they feel threatened.

Breeds other than Silkies that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (good lap pets) include Australorps, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Cochins, Sussex, and Brahmas. Keep in mind though that there can always be an exception with any breed. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Last edited:
My silkies get along the best with the bantam Cochins. They're about the same size too, so Batman can have some extra hens since he's too small to get the job done with the bigger girls lol. ;)

My bantam Cochin hen was the best broody so far, too, and super friendly, as well as her chicks, by far the favorite chicken :)

Back
Top Bottom