Breed recommendations...

Dmag

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2017
South Carolina
We are still in the research phase of our new "chicken adventure". We are starting a sustainable homestead, and want chickens. Ideally we would like to have friendly hens that lay daily. May or may not get a rooster, we are still researching that. We are going to let them free range during the day, and coop them at night. Any suggestions on what type of hens we should start with? Thanks in advance:)

Hey there Dmag :frow

I only have experience with bantams who spend more time broody than they do laying eggs :p

However, you might find this article helpful: Pickin a Chicken

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

We are still in the research phase of our new "chicken adventure". We are starting a sustainable homestead, and want chickens. Ideally we would like to have friendly hens that lay daily. May or may not get a rooster, we are still researching that. We are going to let them free range during the day, and coop them at night. Any suggestions on what type of hens we should start with? Thanks in advance:)

:welcome glad you joined us here many different opinions on the best breeds there is a whole section here on chicken reviews pull up a chair and enjoy

I found that brown leghorns are very good at foraging. I like them because they run fast, the blend in with their surroundings and are alert. I've never lost a brown leghorn due to a predator. They also lay fairly well, they lay around 5-6 eggs a week. I also like the fact that they eat so little, my other chickens eat so much I kinda wish I had more leghorns, would help a lot on feed cost.

The problem is that they could be noisy. They are skittish, but it depends on the personality since some are actually friendly (and the ones that are friendly I hatched myself but some never got used to me). I would not recommend getting a leghorn rooster, although they are protective, they can be aggressive.

Goodluck on finding a good breed!

Remember that you're not limited to one breed. Many sites will allow you to pick one bird of each type and make an order of ten or more. You can experiment, your first year. Get some wyandottes and some leghorns and some australorps and barred-rocks--or whatever you find prettiest. Maybe you'll not like one's looks so much (I used to despise cochins) but you'll fall in love with the personality. (as I did, with cochins)

And I personally recommend getting a rooster. They're generally available for free wherever some poor shmuck accidentally got a rooster when he ordered his pullets. If you do decide to get one, wait until your girls are laying, and then get a nice, older boy from someone in your area. A good rooster is handsome, defends your flock, and courts his ladies. There's nothing prettier than a rooster calling his girls to some delicacy he found in the yard, unless it's a hen calling her peeps.

This is my boy. He's a treasure, and honestly the best rooster I've ever owned:
P1050246.JPG

Welcome from NW Mississippi!!...:frow
There are a few things that can factor into selecting a breed that will "Fit" what you expect to get out of the chickens....such as, egg production, meat, bug eaters, on their own chickens, social and docile chickens....do ya prefer brown, white, or colored eggs....what size egg is preferred....if it is a sustainable homestead, then it will be rather difficult to sustain your chickens without a rooster, unless ya intend on buying regularly....also, if they free range the job of a rooster is to watch for danger and sound the alert when it is seen....just a group of hens don't do this, because it is the innate behavior of the rooster. Being a sustainable homestead, the size of the bird at harvest and the age at which a breed is of butchering size can also vary. Most breeds will produce fairly steady for the first couple of years, then it will taper off and some will almost stop completely. So, it really depends on what you really want out of your chickens and how ya will cycle them at what stage. One of the best all around breeds for homesteading is the Rhode Island Reds, but the roosters can be a bit aggressive and need rooster training every so often....I would suggest for ya just starting out....and if ya are planning on butchering them eventually, don't get the cutie pies that will be so dear and personable....if ya do, then you'll never butcher. It doesn't mean ya can't have any of those at all, but limit the numbers of them, because after about 2-3 yrs the production will drop and they will cost ya more for feed than ya can make selling their eggs.....:)

Welcome! Two good sources of information are 'feathersite' and Henderson's Poultry chart (some name like that), also the Cackle and MurrayMcMurray catalogs. Your local climate is a factor; breeds that do well in the south aren't the best for the cold north, and vice versa.
I think you should narrow your list a bit, and then order a mixed group of pullets, maybe including some cockerels, and see how they do, and what you like. What sounds good may not appeal when you have them, and reeds that look boring might be wonderful! You could just order 'hatchery choice' and see what comes! Mary

And with the whole mixed flock thing, you can tell your hens apart, check for sicknesses, observe who's laying and who isn't (since different breeds lay different eggs) and keep an eye on who's doing what.

Also, some breeds lay better in the winter, and some lay better in summer. Many people keep mixed flocks simply so that they can have egg production always be steady, year-round.

Also, the hens are likely to molt at different times, also helping to even out egg production. Don't plan on even egg production! It will vary over time.
I live in Michigan, and avoid warm weather breeds.
I also avoid production reds and red sex-links, as in my flock they tended to be feather picking nasty birds. No more!
Salmon Favorelles are beautiful and almost too sweet, and may get bullied in a mixed flock. Especially with those production reds! Mary

Back
Top Bottom