Breed Recommendations

Riv-6

Free Ranging
Mar 19, 2020
SW Montana
Hi, all!

I'm looking into ordering my first backyard flock very soon. Looking to get around 6-8. I wanted to get some suggestions/Recommendations/personal experience on breeds that are docile/friendly, hardy, on the quiet side and good layers. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but really wanting them to be family pets as well (hence the docile and friendly factor)!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock so any suggestions on compatible breeds you would great! I plan to free range as much as possible weather permitting (I live in SW Montana) but they will still need to be locked up together a fair amount of the time. I will, of course, have sufficient coop and run space :)

Thank you,

Rei

Last edited:
Hi, all!

I'm looking into ordering my first backyard flock very soon. Looking to get around 6-8. I wanted to get some suggestions/Recommendations/personal experience on breeds that are docile/friendly, hardy, on the quiet side and good layers. They will be used for eggs (mainly) but really wanting them to be family pets as well (hence the docile and friendly factor)!

Also, I want a mixed breed flock so any suggestions on compatible breeds you would great! I plan to free range as much as possible weather permitting (I live in SW Montana) but they will still need to be locked up together a fair amount of the time. I will, of course, have sufficient coop and run space :)

Thank you,

Rei
I have a flock of easter eggers, one wyandotte and one barred rock, and though I think the other ones are prettier, my barred rock is by far the friendliest and the best layer. She flies out of the coop and follows me around the yard, and she seems to think she is a duck, as she follows my saxonies around as well. And I get almost an egg a day from her.

I have a flock of easter eggers, one wyandotte and one barred rock, and though I think the other ones are prettier, my barred rock is by far the friendliest and the best layer. She flies out of the coop and follows me around the yard, and she seems to think she is a duck, as she follows my saxonies around as well. And I get almost an egg a day from her.

I would love to have them follow me around! Have you had any problems with the Barred Rock picking on the other chickens? How big is your flock?

I have a similar size to what you want to get, just six and one is a rooster. All of them get along very well but my barred rock does seem to be at the top of the pecking order. It's funny that she follows me around, too, because I didn't socialize any of my flock too much as chicks, and she turned out tame anyway. I would definitely recommend the breed.

I totally agree .. I have a mixed flock and my barred rocks are the friendliest of them all.. and will climb up onto my lap

I like Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, and Speckled Sussex. They are all good layers, cold hardy, and are friendly. My Sussex were a bit chatty compared to other breeds I've had, but were the most friendly.

Rocks sound like a great combination of laying and friendly personality.

Another to consider may be australorps. Ours are docile/friendly and they are known to lay well. For adults, we have them and leghorns - which are egg machines but not particularly social with us.

Orpingtons have a reputation for being really sweet but may not lay quite as much. Speckled sussex are another name you see associated with friendly hens. Both will be added to our mixed flock eventually, with a few orps already in the brooder.

Don't be afraid to try different breeds. The beauty of a mixed flock is the variety. We originally thought we wanted all "friendly" birds but actually enjoy the combo of some sweeter social breeds with the production of the leghorns.

Hope this gives you a few more to consider! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom