breed recommendations?

beckysaur

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Portland, Oregon
hi everyone!

I am trying to decide what breed to get for my backyard coop. I live in the city and am planning on getting two chicks. They will be my first chickens ever!

I would like them to be:
-peaceful
-easy to handle
-nice
-moderate egg-layers

Any suggestions? Or warnings against certain breeds?

Thank you for any advice!
becky

Hi Becky and welcome to BYC.
Here's a great chart to help you decide which breed is best for you:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

I would suggest you consider getting three, instead of two. Chickens are flock animals and they get attached to their fellow flock members. If something should happen to one and you only had two to start, the remaining chick would have a hard time coping.

Good luck!

I will suggest Brahmas!!!
big or small they have BIG personalities!
they are kid friendly!
Great foregers
all the Brahmas I ever had were quiet & easy to handle

I have BR, WR, JG, EE, RIR, a Red sexlink, Cochins

I had Dominiques, BO

My brahmas are the best!!!

I'll suggest the red sex links, these are very quiet and tame hens. Outstanding layers as well. I agree with the three bird situation, see if you can get some neighbors to go in on a chick order and split it up.

I agree with Gritsar. Check the breed site for the characteristics you want. I think everyone on thissite has their own favorite. Although I only have 3 breeds myself, my friends and neighbors have many different breeds and they helped me to settle on the birds that were right for me.

Hands down my favorites are Buff Orpingtons. They are quiet, friendly, easily handled. They aren't big flyers and they don't scratch up your lawn like many other breeds. They also lay dependably all year round. I also agree you should get no fewer than three. They are social animls.

I agree with everyone's suggestions but wanted to add speckled sussex to the list.
Mine is the friendliest and most curious of my flock.
SHe is also very sweet tempered
She seeks me out in the yard and sticks her nose into whatever I am doing.

Quote:
And here I was trying to be good and open-minded and not push brahmas on anyone.
wink.png

I adore my brahmas. I'm a slave to them, but I still adore them.
D.gif

If you live up north, you might consider one of the feathered footed breeds for better wintering - I, personally, like Cochins (I have bantams, but they come in large breed, too).

My cochins are sweet and cuddly - very nice chckens. Not sure about laying eggs - mine aren't laying yet, so I have no idea what quantity they will lay.

Did I mention they are sweet and cuddly?
big_smile.png

Peace -
Meri

Back
Top Bottom