1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed selection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coltsfan, May 20, 2011.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Bedford,IN
    Hi all. I am currently in the latter planning stages of getting some chickens. Ive been researching different breeds for a while now that will suit my purposes and ive narrowed them down to new hamp, orpington, and delaware. I want a good dp breed that has great meat properties and lays really well. Also broodiness is a must. I was leaning toward the orpington, but i read somewhere that they quit laying for a couple of months during the winter. Any thoughts or preferences for any of these breeds would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on the age of your Buff Orps. Mine layed all through the winter (it was their pullet year). I fully expect them to take a break this fall for their 18 month molt. I have read that they go broody all summer sometimes, lol. Only one of mine has gone broody thus far and they are a year old.

Everyone has their favorites- I will just mention that my hatchery Delawares started pecking my hands and I thought they seemed aggressive. So I sold them. Then I read that others have found hatchery Delawares also to be aggressive. If you get them from a breeder they are supposedly sweet. That's all I know about them.

New Hampshires I have no experience with.

Henderson's Breed Chart is awesome if you haven't seen it yet. (You can google it.)

The skin color of the chicken should be considered also. You might try looking at McMurray Hatchery or another hatchery's webpages too to get ideas on their dual purpose breeds.

3. coltsfan

May 10, 2011
    Bedford,IN
    Well actually read that fact about orpingtons in the byc breed descriptions, but i suppose everyone has different experiences. Thanks for the info!

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Typically all birds will lay through winter during their first year. And it is quite normal that all birds take a winter break and moult, as this is part of their cycle of regeneration. The only way a bird will lay all through winter every year is if additional light is provided to stop their natural cycle.

5. coltsfan

May 10, 2011
    Bedford,IN
    Thanx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by