Breed?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
This is an update to a previous post about these guys. I was told they were leg bars but the consensus seemed to be mostly EEs on breed. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what they might be a mix of. They have the crest now but no yellow legs. They’re 8 weeks old. I had to use the flash because of the pink plant lights in the room. I’m also pretty sure I have a boy and a girl but one looks to have a pea comb. So won’t know gender for sure on that one.
717A9732-FCDD-47DC-8BF5-DDA6D101767D.jpeg
A7A14646-7FC1-4E53-9F77-2795F9EF4FBA.jpeg
7104FDB1-A3D3-491C-9911-F59862BFF616.jpeg
E6E9B361-5488-486E-814F-CB6E0C97F142.jpeg
97E12AFA-035F-43D1-AE28-4CBE09851ADA.jpeg
CE5B1B68-1F4C-4DA8-8E61-9356386EB4E6.jpeg

Except for the leg coloring looks very much what some hatcheries are calling "sapphires" (not sapphire gems). They are cream leg bar/leghorn crosses. As white leghorn are dominant white, their crosses will often be white with black flecks. 😊
Will be interesting to see what color eggs your birds end up laying.

Leghorn/legbar crosses would have yellow legs and straight combs.
There's something else in the mix. The crest does suggest Legbar but its hard to say what else. With one having a pea comb and the other a straight comb I'd say at least one of the parents is also a mix of they don't have the same parents.

I was told they were leg bars but the consensus seemed to be mostly EEs on breed. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what they might be a mix of. They have the crest now but no yellow legs. They’re 8 weeks old....I’m also pretty sure I have a boy and a girl but one looks to have a pea comb. So won’t know gender for sure on that one.

I think you might have two pullets, although I wouldn't be sure until they get a bit older yet. Pea combs may stay smaller than single combs, but they still turn red earlier on the males than on females.

I'm guessing that someone crossed Leghorns (good layers) with several kinds of blue egg layers (Legbars and Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers), and then interbred the offspring for several generations.

That would account for the crests (Legbar), the single comb (Legbar and Leghorn), the dark legs (Ameraucana or Easter Egger), the pea comb (Ameraucana or Easter Egger), and the light blue eggs they hatched from.

:lau I see that several people posted similar breed-mix suggestions while I was typing.

This is an update to a previous post about these guys. I was told they were leg bars but the consensus seemed to be mostly EEs on breed. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what they might be a mix of. They have the crest now but no yellow legs. They’re 8 weeks old. I had to use the flash because of the pink plant lights in the room. I’m also pretty sure I have a boy and a girl but one looks to have a pea comb. So won’t know gender for sure on that one. View attachment 2546438View attachment 2546439View attachment 2546440View attachment 2546441View attachment 2546442View attachment 2546443
Splash barnyard mix? I really do not know. We’re did you get her?

I got them from blue ribbon farms off eBay. I ordered a mix of eggs and these were the only two that hatched. The seller wasn’t sure if they were legbars or ameraucanas. So the seller has both I guess.

They are so stinking cute and I hope I have two girls. I’m hoping the one with the bigger comb just has a big comb. @TheCrochetChick the legs are a light blue or slateish color. I can’t really find the color on any google search. And all the photos I take don’t do the color justice.

If they’re a leghorn/ legbar cross would they have the blue legs? I’m thinking the farm I got them from probably just had barnyard mixes. Even though they touted purebred chickens. 😑

Back
Top Bottom