Breed?

She is a cream legbar mix, aka an Easter egger. Definitely not a welsummer.
And what makes you say that? Just trying to learn. She looks exactly like a welsummer, but has barring. Comb matches a brown leghorn, welsummer or welbar. Looks nothing like any ee I have ever seen. Looks similar to a cream legbar. No funky feathers on head yet. But she is only 12 weeks old. Not that I care either way, just curious.

And what makes you say that? Just trying to learn. She looks exactly like a welsummer, but has barring. Comb matches a brown leghorn, welsummer or welbar. Looks nothing like any ee I have ever seen. Looks similar to a cream legbar. No funky feathers on head yet. But she is only 12 weeks old. Not that I care either way, just curious.
They are using cream Legbars to make new types of Easter eggers, so it is possible. For instance sometimes they cross Welsummers and cream Legbars to make olive eggers. I see no sign of a crest, though, so I'd go with Welbar.

They are using cream Legbars to make new types of Easter eggers, so it is possible. For instance sometimes they cross Welsummers and cream Legbars to make olive eggers. I see no sign of a crest, though, so I'd go with Welbar.
All very cool. Thanks so much for the info and your reply! I guess when she starts laying. The egg color should further help identify breed.

Welbars are very uncommon compared to Easter eggers. Many breeds look exactly like a welsummer, including the cream legbar mixes that hatcheries sell as Easter eggers. You may want to look at the birds on this thread (welsummer/cream legbar mixes):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chicks-legbar-welsummer.1432055/post-24105605. Cream legbar mix EEs have the same comb type as a welsummer. Cream legbars usually only pass on the crested gene to half of their offspring.

Welbars are very uncommon compared to Easter eggers. Many breeds look exactly like a welsummer, including the cream legbar mixes that hatcheries sell as Easter eggers. You may want to look at the birds on this thread (welsummer/cream legbar mixes):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chicks-legbar-welsummer.1432055/post-24105605. Cream legbar mix EEs have the same comb type as a welsummer. Cream legbars usually only pass on the crested gene to half of their offspring.
Yes! She looks so much like the cream legbar mixes here. Thank you for that link!

Just started getting blue eggs from this chicken in question. So you were totally right. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220715_122120.jpg
    20220715_122120.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220720_174109.jpg
    20220720_174109.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220715_122120.jpg
    20220715_122120.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 7
All very cool. Thanks so much for the info and your reply! I guess when she starts laying. The egg color should
She just started laying blue eggs. So you were right on. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220715_122120.jpg
    20220715_122120.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220720_174109.jpg
    20220720_174109.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom