1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken-Lover23, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Chicken-Lover23

Chicken-Lover23 New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Okay so I got some new ducks at Tractor Supply today. The man said they were a white something-another. I dont remember what he said they were but I'm really curious about what they are. If you have a guess
    please post it. He also said they make good pets and are very friendly. Heres some pics;[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Although I am not really interested in ducks, I asked the person at TSC what breed the ducks were when I was there the other day and they said "Peking". I'm pretty sure that there is no breed of duck called a Peking, but I do know that there are Pekins. I had two Pekin ducks years ago and they were yellow as ducklings and grew up to be white. Maybe he said White Pekin? I remember mine being fairly friendly, although they were big and heavy and scratched me when I tried to hold them. Of course, I was ten years old at the time, so that was probably why!
    Good luck on finding out what your ducklings are and [​IMG]

3. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Did he say "Pekin" perhaps?

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Went to TSC on Friday to buy wire and stopped by to see what kind of chicks and ducklings they had. The ducklings looked like they were White Pekins, and then they had some black ducklings. Any idea what breed? I would have gotten a couple, but we were going to be in the car for awhile and I didn't want them to be hauled all over the place.

~ Aspen

5. Chicken-Lover23

Chicken-Lover23 New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Oh. Okay. Thanks guys. I'll do some research and maybe even call Tractor Supply.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The blk ones you saw where probably Cayuga if they were solid blk.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Most likely Pekin, TSC has corporate contracts with hatcheries for the spring ducklings. State location will dictate what breeds they offer due to the state laws on what can and can not be sold.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Those look like Pekin to me and they will be excellent ducks and quite large.

My Pekin are clownish and sociable. They follow me around chattering and stop and listen carefully when I talk to them. They are nice company

10. goosehead

goosehead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Right here
    That's a Pekin AKA white pekin

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by