Breeder of rose combed Rhode Island Whites?

I emailed APA and asked them about the RIW with single comb.... This is what I ask ......

Will the APA ever accept single comb in the Rhode Island White chicken? Is the single comb a pure bred?

This was their answer...

Hello,

No, they will not be accepted and no, they are probably not pure bred if you have them with a single comb. They would have to have three differences to the RIR. Unfortunately
there is little interest in the White Rhode Island Whites with the proper comb.

Walt Leonard
Chairman of the APA Standard Committee

I emailed APA and asked them about the RIW with single comb.... This is what I ask ......

Will the APA ever accept single comb in the Rhode Island White chicken? Is the single comb a pure bred?

This was their answer...

Hello,

No, they will not be accepted and no, they are probably not pure bred if you have them with a single comb. They would have to have three differences to the RIR. Unfortunately
there is little interest in the White Rhode Island Whites with the proper comb.

Walt Leonard
Chairman of the APA Standard Committee

Hopefully Walt Leonard is wrong on that one. Chairmen of the APA Standard Committee have been wrong before breeds have been admitted to the APA that they opposed and probably never though would be admitted. Walt has no way of knowing what the subsequent generation that follows him will do.

Hopefully Walt Leonard is wrong on that one. Chairmen of the APA Standard Committee have been wrong before breeds have been admitted to the APA that they opposed and probably never though would be admitted. Walt has no way of knowing what the subsequent generation that follows him will do.

I hope he is wrong too. I have single comb RIW. I love them.

The APA doesn't currently recognize the single comb RIW, but they've been seriously discussing the admission of them since 2010, so I think it's just a matter of time before they will admit them to the standard.

Sorry a little slow on the posting just found this thread.

I sure hope they don't add them. The commercial guys have birds but they have zero type they do not even come close to the standard of a Rhode Island birds. I do not even know anyone in APA that is breeding them do you?

Sorry a little slow on the posting just found this thread.

I sure hope they don't add them. The commercial guys have birds but they have zero type they do not even come close to the standard of a Rhode Island birds. I do not even know anyone in APA that is breeding them do you?

I have no idea whether anyone in the APA is breeding them. I read the article about the APA discussing the admission of them since 2010 on a link that one of the other members posted on another thread some time back.

Did you try Urch/Turnland? They have a good reputation for breeding fowl to the standard, and I have seen nice pictures of their whites somewhere on this site. I've also heard Frank Reese has some, so it couldn't hurt to ask him too.

Back
Top Bottom