Breeder silkie- yellow skin

Thanks all, it makes sense! I've read somewhere too about bluffs having lighter skin. I know sizzles aren't purebred, just didnt know if lighter skin was because it was a sizzle. She also sent me silkies which have the black skin. Just trying to get my genetics straight. They both have 5 toes. :) they're fun little birds. I love the frizzled feathers. I'm not showing so DQ doesnt matter to me.

Thanks all, it makes sense! I've read somewhere too about bluffs having lighter skin. I know sizzles aren't purebred, just didnt know if lighter skin was because it was a sizzle. She also sent me silkies which have the black skin. Just trying to get my genetics straight. They both have 5 toes. :) they're fun little birds. I love the frizzled feathers. I'm not showing so DQ doesnt matter to me.

Well a DQ could be 4 instead of 5 toes, pink pigment breakthrough on the skin of a paint silkie, split wings, low thin cushion or little crest, red instead of black to mulberry comb, single comb, etc. non of those DQs tho make it not purebred, just a generic fault that can and will pop up even in the best breeding. It happens. But I’m glad your happy with your little cutie and looks to be buff and half of mine had that same color skin at hatch. Time will tell when the feathers come in if it’s sizzle.

DQ means a fault that would get a bird taken out of a show. Green legs is a DQ fault in silkies.
I actually didn't mean DQ as that example. I meant disqualifies as being pure in my opinion. But I'm good with either.

“Also to me DQs absolutely means its not the intended breed.
I can see faults being included in breeds but not a DQ fault.”

I respect your opinion on this but I’m assuming you don’t show cause DQ in the show world doesn’t mean it’s not the intended breed and I know a couple master breeders that will breed a bird with a minor DQ if all other aspects of the bird are perfect. Any fault is a DQ so not sure what you meant by that last sentence.

I don't show now but did for years. I showed silkies for 6 or 7 years.
If I bring a bird to a show and it has a DQ fault and is pulled from the show that kinda makes me see it as not the intended breed since it couldn't be shown as such.
Not all faults are DQ faults. Some faults are and that bird can't be shown. Others are minor faults which keeps it in the show but loses points.
I would never include a bird with a DQ to be bred in my lines if I was showing. Other breeders make their own choices.

Ok.
DQ=DIS QUALIFIED
Never done any chicken showing so...
To me, a DQ is having two heads, 3 legs , no beak, no wings or those little flipper wings (have the little T-Rex arm/wings). It may sound harsh, but I can't afford to feed those when they don't make it 99% of the time. :hit

Back
Top Bottom