Breeder silkie- yellow skin

SeaGal4

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
So I ordered some silkie/sizzles on ebay from a beautiful breeder. Hatched 3 of them. 2 have black skin but 1 has yellowish skin? It also doesnt have a pronounced hat on it either like the others. But they ARE silkies. Any explanation to this?
First two pics are of the yellow skinned chick. Te others are comparing chicks. Notice diff shaped heads too.

Attachments

• 20181121_180913.jpg
    20181121_180913.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 20181121_180905.jpg
    20181121_180905.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 53
  • 20181117_140607.jpg
    20181117_140607.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181117_140535.jpg
    20181117_140535.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 58
If it has yellow skin it isn't pure silkie.
If it was from a silkie/sizzle project that would explain why it isn't pure.

Actually it isn’t yellow skin and that is a pure silkie chick. It looks to be a buff and buffs tend to hatch with a greenish colored skin that darkens with age. Not saying they are all born with it but a lot of my buff chicks are and then darken. Give this baby time and don’t worry about the crest as it’s not a vaulted skull so you won’t see much of anything til it starts feathering at a couple months.

OP said it had yellowish skin so who am I to say it isn't?
I've raised silkies myself including buffs and every one I ever hatched hatched dark skinned as they should.
It is still my opinion it isn't a pure silkie.
OP also stated they were silkie/sizzles. That also indicates there was another breed introduced at some point in that program.
Funny I had silkies for probably 30 years and never saw any of the issues that have shown up since the sizzle projects took off.
Silkies are a black skinned breed so IMO anything other then that disqualifies it as a silkie.

If you look at the pics, you can see they are more green. I doubt you had 100% Black perfect skin in 30 years of breeding. I’m not trying to tell you your wrong, but that there could in fact be other options than what you think. I have breed silkies a long time and have bought from well know master breeders and even their birds are never 100% perfect and they don’t breed frizzle and other genetics in their flock. Even with show birds you will always get some sort of fault including lighter skin that is more grayish than black. Also DQs don’t make a bird not purebred so you might want to word that different so newbies don’t get the wrong idea on what DQ means.

Seems you are simply calling me a liar. Which is fine I have thick skin.
OP states yellowish. You stated green but now you're switching to greyish.
I would agree that some might see greyish in silkies but that's a fine line between grey and black.
Yellow means yellow and green means a dose of yellow.
To me both spells foreign blood somewhere in the line.
Also to me DQs absolutely means its not the intended breed.
I can see faults being included in breeds but not a DQ fault.

Back
Top Bottom