Breeders: what kind of banding or ID works best?

If you don't need to keep track of individual birds, ie. you just need to know which came out of blue eggs, green eggs, etc, those coily wristband keychains work great! Just cut them into loops of 1.5 coils each and slap 'em on. Walmart sells a 3- pack in the office supply section for less than $2.

I use colored zip ties when they come out of the brooder so I can tell what breeding pen they come for.

The ones that I keep as breeders get numbered bandettes.
I use the numbers to tell me what year the breeders were hatched.
The ones I keep this year have bands in the 90's.

Poco Poyo

I love the ABA permanent leg bands, you just have to make sure you get them on the birds before they out grow them, it's done when they are a few months of age and grow into the bands, IMO their awesome. It has the year on the bands too so you can keep good track of you hatches. If you decide to go that route the ABA website has a list of breeds and the correct sizes.

Shari

Quote:
What size do you get from the ABA? I was looking into those permanent bands but am not sure of the size. Also what age can you apply them to silkie chicks without the band falling off?

From the ABA they are size G(15). They are usually about 6-8 weeks when I put them on. Sometimes they will fall off, but I keep trying till they stay on. One extra week can make a difference whether or not you can get them on..

I was going to join the ABA and get legbands this fall at the ON; I won't be able to put the bands on my adults?

Quote:
Nope. The bands have to be slipped over the feet of the birds as they grow, typically at between 4 and 7 weeks of age (depending on breed.) They are seamless, which means they aren't like bandettes, and which makes them more likely to stay on for the life of the bird.

I use a label maker found at any walmart store here in the US. I can put what I want on it and it comes in different colors. The print is embossed (spelling?) as in metal bands. I only remove enough of the backing to attach the "band" to the other side. I have yet to loose one from a chicken but one could make such a thing more permanent. I doubt they last the life of a chicken as I have applied them. My only other banding experience comes from doves. Solid bands applied a few days after hatching. I no longer band my doves because I only have a couple of dozen now.

Back
Top Bottom